Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Seriously shopping ... used A3

Old 04-16-2008, 08:45 PM
1st Gear
Default Seriously shopping ... used A3

I started out looking for a VW GTI, and I really do like that car. Right now I am driving a 1999 BMW 323i, and it is an excellent ride. I had a 1999 Audi A4 before that and love it, except for the auto transmission. I have never owned a car newer than 1999 model year, and I am proud of that.

But this is my year to buy a new (used) car, and first I thought a 4-door GTI. I don't need 4-doors, but I want 4-doors, because getting those doors makes it easy to slop things into the rear seats, even passengers at rare times. I have always love the look of small 4-doors (the A4 and 323i prove that.) I love the GTI, except for the styling, which I think I would get tired of quickly.

At first, I wasn't a big fan of the A3, and then I test drove one with the dual sunroofs, leather and DSG.

OK... this is the car I want. Forget the GTI.

I don't drive many miles a year, so used is perfect for me. 2006 or 2007 is fine, up to 30,000 miles. I am interested in a certified model, but if I can find the right car at the right price, I'll do it.

Silver, Lava Gray, maybe black, maybe blue.

DSG, leather.

Anything else I should seriously consider? Has anyone got experience with the cloth seats? What are they like?

Old 04-16-2008, 10:16 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Seriously shopping ... used A3

Cloth seats only come on the base model, which will be hard to find, and you might not care for some of the other things not included on a base model (the very nice leather steering wheel, for example).

Many of us prefer the Sport package (S-Line on '07 and '08) for the suspension and seat differences. The alternate Premium package that others like has the same suspension as base (typically considered more comfortable, but with reduced handling) and leather seats with a power driver's seat and adjustable lumbar support. You already mentioned Open Sky as being desireable. The Bose stereo option is generally not considered all that great, and can make future stereo upgrades more difficult. I've got it on my CPO, but wouldn't have chosen it in a new car. The Cold Weather package is nice if you live where heated seats would be an advantage. I don't have that (my car originally came from Arizona) and there have been a few mornings when those seats would be appreciated. The heated mirrors, however, can be retrofitted and enabled with a VAG-COM interface. The Convenience and Storage packages include a number of neat goodies that vary from year to year.

Hope you have good luck finding a CPO car with close to the options and color you want. I love mine that came in my favorite color combination and most of the options I wanted (see above). It feels pretty good having a car with a better-then-new car warranty. BTW, do you know that '06's get free service ("Audi Care") for the first 50K miles?

BTW, the suspension tradeoffs I noted between base/Premium versus Sport/S-Line are wonderfully resolved with Koni FSD shocks and the OEM Sport springs, IMHO - great ride AND great handling. Some like shorter springs or coilovers instead, but I didn't want to be any lower.

Old 04-17-2008, 11:46 AM
1st Gear

I have the S-line seats with power, but cloth, not leather. I ordered it that way because I have Open Sky too, and I live in Taiwan...don't like hot leather.

Unfortunately, the cloth seats in the US cars have no support and look cheap in my opinion. However, the cloth itself on those seats is the same as on my car, and I like it. Feels good, looks good. Just the problem is the seat itself for the US model.

Other fairly consistent comment from people on the A3 boards is that for MOST people, the S-line is really good value. I, on the other hand, recommend the sublime pleasures of a TDI...but unfortunately that is not available yet in the US. But the S-line seats and suspension probably make it worth it!

Other than that, check the car carefully for mysterious rattles! Generally, Audi is great, but keep an ear out for that when you test drive!

Old 04-17-2008, 12:14 PM
1st Gear

I bought my low milage 2007 A3 S-line 2.0 manual from someone who was on one of the Audi or VW forums. A similar CPO car was at least $5000 more. Like you I didn't consider Audi as I thought it would be too expensive, but once I drove one all other cars I was looking at paled and so I upped my budget. I'm glad I did.

It's not easy to find a base model, new or otherwise. Most folks like the S-line/Premium upgrades and after a couple of weeks driving I agree. I especially like the steering wheel and thegrey leather interior, with tinted windows the black is just too dark inside. I've cometo like the Premium sound, but do wish it played mp3. A satelite receiver would have beennice. I like the looks more every day and have no regrets, it's fast and fun to drive.

Old 04-17-2008, 05:37 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: byrun
I bought my low milage 2007 A3 S-line 2.0 manual from someone who was on one of the Audi or VW forums. A similar CPO car was at least $5000 more.
My A3 CPO experience was not too expensive.

When I bought it 8 months ago, my '06 (2.0T Sport, DSG, Open Sky, Convenience, Bose and Satellite radio)with 25K miles was actually $1000 under Kelley blue book, AND it had nearly new Toyo T1Rs. I'm sure CPO pricing is dealer-variable, but that certainly seemed competitive. BTW, I just checked again, and the same car (with miles as when I purchased it) has only lost about $1500 in KBB value in that time.