Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Sudden Loss of Power

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 09:39 PM
1st Gear
Question Sudden Loss of Power

I hope this question has not been asked so if it has, please redirect. I have a 2007 A3. I LOVE this car. I have had it for a little over 4 years and am a few hundred miles from 90,000. As I was driving from Philadelphia to Washington DC today I experienced something that I hadn't ever experienced. I was sitting in traffic on the beltway and with the accelerator down, the engine seemed to lose power. I thought it was kind of weird but as I kept driving, it didn't do it for awhile. About the last 20 miles of my trip however, it was doing it a lot. I would be doing about 60-65 and the car would lose power for a few seconds and then kick back on if I pressed the accelerator a little harder. I changed the oil yesterday and used the oil I always use...5W/40 but this time I added Lucas Synthetic Oil Stabilizer. I really don't think that is what is causing the issue, but I am not a tech. Another thing to add, the check engine light never comes on. I have to travel back to Philadelphia on Friday but am afraid to mess up the car any more than it might be. I am going to call my dealer in the morning and ask them their advice, but if anyone has any ideas of what could possibly be going wrong, I would appreciate it. One last thing... I am kicking myself for leaving my VAG at home!!! Thanks!

Old 10-12-2010, 02:45 PM
1st Gear

Have you ever had the high pressure fuel pump cam follower checked?

Old 10-17-2010, 01:15 PM
1st Gear

sounds like fuel is getting leaned out or something.

Old 10-17-2010, 06:55 PM
1st Gear
Default me too

I have a 2006 with only about 25,000 miles. I also have intermittent power loss. The ECP and traction control lights tend to come on at the same time. The audi dealer here in Reno has been through all systems without finding anything to fix. If I put the transmission in N and turn the car on and off a couple of times it tends to clear the problem. I will search other threads to see if anyone has found a solution.

Old 10-27-2010, 02:15 AM
1st Gear

have you had an ECU upgrade? eg Revo or APR Stage 1??

The problem you have described are usually attributed to these things only.

1. Coil packs are about to pack up. These are quick and easy to change over.
2. Your injectors are stuffed and probably needs replacing.
3. Your spark plugs are on the way out.
4. Your fuel pumps on the way out
5. Your exhaust valve springs are playing up.

Coil packs, spark plugs are easy to do yourself and quite cheap. Do you have a VAG Com? if you do you can plug the computer into the car and check out what error code you get. You should be getting a misfire in the cylinders some where. it will generally tell you theres a misfire in cylinder one or two or three or four.

you swap the coil packs over and see if the error code follows the coil pack. if it does you most likely have a dodgy coil pack.

do you get this momentary stuttering/loss of power under load???