Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Torn...please help.

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 11:51 PM
1st Gear
Default Torn...please help.

I am having a very difficult time deciding between an A3 3.2 Quattro or a Lexus IS250 AWD. Driving performance is in Audi's favor, but luxury/fit and finish as well as reliabilityis definitely in Lexus' favor. Can anyone here attest to the reliability of the A3. I had an 05.5 A4 2.0T which had numerous factory defects and issues such as the right back door lock would not work correctly, yes the poblems were covered by warranty but what a hassel. I am very affraid that if i buy german again I may regret it. The caveat....my fiance is telling me that if i buy another car (I went through 3 cars in 3 years) I have to keep it for at least 6 years or there will be some serious ramifications.[&:]

Old 09-13-2007, 12:15 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Torn...please help.

cshecks-
I have owned Japanese and German. You can't go wrong with German and you can't go wrong with Japanese. Let me start off with the Lexus(Buddy has that model) the fit and finish inside is great and the way it drives, very enjoyable. Audi (mines2.0T, but I had a 3.2VW) The 3.2VR6 is a strong well proven engine with a great transmission that has been race proven. The Halidex AWD system is top of its class. Fit and finish, well its Audi. Now the comparison. Interior space almost identical. But if you put the seats down in the A3 you get more room.(winner A3) Exterior the Lexus is bigger in size then the A3(winner both depending on your preference) Drive train, A3 proven 3.2VR6 with DSG and Halidex AWD both top of there class. IS250 Nissan's new 2.5L V6 not yet entirely proven, Tranny unknown, but I do know its only a AT with the AWD which is Nissan made and well the did have it in the Skyline so it's reliable. (winner Audi engine tranny TIE AWD system)
OK that's a bit of a comparison I may way a little Toward the Audi but I have one. Oh here is a thought I used to see a lot of Lexus IS's on the road but barely saw any A3's do you want to BLEND IN or STICK OUT.
Both great cars from very good manufactures. Which ever you pick you will be happy for 6yrs. But GO AUDI!!!!

Old 09-13-2007, 07:31 AM
1st Gear

If power is of ANY concern to you... and I mean ANY... get the Audi.
I was also looking at the IS250 but was comparing it to the A3 2.0T. Even the 2.0T is a rocket compared to the is250.
You should really be comparing the 3.2 to the is350.
Two things made me decide on the A3... the lack of power in the 250 and the fact that the back seats don't fold down. I mean c'mon, what's up with that???

Old 09-13-2007, 08:23 AM
1st Gear

the fixed backseat killed the is250 for me....

I do wakeboard, snowboard, roadbike, montain bike, camping.....

Old 09-13-2007, 09:30 AM
1st Gear

I too was looking at the IS250 before I got the A3. The Lexus interior is beautiful (actually a bit too luxurious for me), and their service record is top notch. To me, the car just seemed very heavy to drive. Response was slow, even though the car is not that big. Driving the A3 feels completely different - much lighter feel and better road feedback. That the cars drive very differently should make your decision easier. It's completely personal preference.

Old 09-13-2007, 09:55 AM
1st Gear

I looked at both, and maybe I would have gone for the IS if they still made the sportcross version, but the Lexus is very un-sporty in the handling department. It seemed heavy, floaty and the wheel felt as detached as possible from the road. I chose Audi, despite distantreputable serviceand questionable local service, based on the handling and practicality. The 3.2 may be a technicalogically dated block, but it's proven reliable. Sure Audis can be higher maintenance sometimes, but there have been more and more TSBs from Lexus recently than before.

Old 09-13-2007, 10:11 PM
1st Gear

What is a TSB?

Old 09-13-2007, 10:27 PM
1st Gear

Technical Service Bulletin=TSB

Old 09-14-2007, 12:36 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: 4RINGSROD

cshecks-
I have owned Japanese and German. You can't go wrong with German and you can't go wrong with Japanese. Let me start off with the Lexus(Buddy has that model) the fit and finish inside is great and the way it drives, very enjoyable. Audi (mines2.0T, but I had a 3.2VW) The 3.2VR6 is a strong well proven engine with a great transmission that has been race proven. The Halidex AWD system is top of its class. Fit and finish, well its Audi. Now the comparison. Interior space almost identical. But if you put the seats down in the A3 you get more room.(winner A3) Exterior the Lexus is bigger in size then the A3(winner both depending on your preference) Drive train, A3 proven 3.2VR6 with DSG and Halidex AWD both top of there class. IS250 Nissan's new 2.5L V6 not yet entirely proven, Tranny unknown, but I do know its only a AT with the AWD which is Nissan made and well the did have it in the Skyline so it's reliable. (winner Audi engine tranny TIE AWD system)
OK that's a bit of a comparison I may way a little Toward the Audi but I have one. Oh here is a thought I used to see a lot of Lexus IS's on the road but barely saw any A3's do you want to BLEND IN or STICK OUT.
Both great cars from very good manufactures. Which ever you pick you will be happy for 6yrs. But GO AUDI!!!!
Only one thing,

Lexus is made by Toyota, not Nissan

Old 09-14-2007, 05:53 AM
L7
1st Gear

Hi Cshecks;
I've noticed that you've been trying to make up your mind on an A3 fora while. It seems that you keep comparing it to other cars and trying to decide. Well, good for you. I researched the A3 for months before picking it over BMW, Lexus and many others. The IS250 is nice and all but I was not able to find a manual tranny on one which right there was one of the strikes against it. No, I do not want to rehash the DSG vs MT debate again.....
And also - I'm not sure what you're into - but, after having some issues with my trunk on my 540i I really wanted a hatchback / sportback type cargo entry. And thus when heading out for tailgates and meeting up with the main party and I am responsible for the beverages that day - a 70 quart cooler will fit.
Just my scattered thoughts for an early morning.

Quick Reply: Torn...please help.