Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Clutch Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 07:15 PM
2nd Gear
Default Clutch Upgrade?

I was just doing my daily day dreaming looking at all the upgrades from AWE, APR, etc. especially the new stage III from APR. After looking at the kit for the countless time I noticed it didn't mention anything about the stock clutch. Would it be able to handle the power gains? IMO I would expect some serious slippage from the clutch/flywheel, but thats coming from an S4 background where the clutch is one of the weakest parts of the car. I decided to try and find some type of clutch upgrade but no matter where I looked, I couldn't find anything. []

Basically is there a flywheel and clutch upgrade for the A3?

Old 01-04-2008, 10:22 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Clutch Upgrade?

You know, I've never paid attention since I've got DSG, but you may try searching under GTI. There are a lot more of them out there and I'm sure there is more of an aftermarket demand for the GTI.

Old 01-05-2008, 12:05 AM
1st Gear

Does the GTI and A3 share the same tranny?

Old 01-05-2008, 08:46 AM
2nd Gear

Just contact APR they will be able to answer all your questions since they were one of the first to upgrade the vw to a ko3 stage 3 turbo MT.

Old 01-06-2008, 01:30 AM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: stryker

Just contact APR they will be able to answer all your questions since they were one of the first to upgrade the vw to a ko3 stage 3 turbo MT.
I'll shoot them an email and post they're reply. I haven't had the great experience emailing them about the stage III s4 kit but we'll see how this turns out!

Old 01-06-2008, 01:54 PM

David at Eurocode in Torrance was talking about a shop he knows that will resurface the disk to hold the 400lb/tq mark. We talked about it seriously when I was very tempted to install a LSD. Unfortunately, the home building goes before mods, so that'll come a little later.

I haven't seen anybody offering an actual "kit" at this point. Let me know if you find one.

Cheers!

Old 01-07-2008, 01:21 AM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: burnt toast

Does the GTI and A3 share the same tranny?
Well I haven't physically compared part no's, but all reason and logic says yes since the A3 and GTI are the same car mechanically. If it were DSG, then it would be different because the GTI has launch control.

Old 01-08-2008, 02:10 AM
2nd Gear

So in other words chef, your clutch is holding yourstage II setup?

Old 01-08-2008, 09:17 AM

ORIGINAL: Woodhead2k

So in other words chef, your clutch is holding yourstage II setup?
My clutch is just fine. I'm not sure that you'd need a clutch upgrade right away with the stage III kit? I'm probably in the low 300's for torque, and I think they dial back the torque in the programing with the big turbo upgrade. It is around 330-340 ft/lbs, I think? My plan was to upgrade the clutch when I was putting in the LSD in preparation for the big turbo, and the fact that the transmission was already out.

So how seriously are you contemplating the big turbo???

Cheers!

Old 01-08-2008, 03:56 PM
2nd Gear

Well the way I'm looking at it is to do a oettinger and basic mod setup, or skip the visuals and go straight for the GT28. They would work out to be the same price. Mind you nothing is definite until this summer...

No word from APR yet, I hate they're customer service.

Quick Reply: Clutch Upgrade?