Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

What effect will a chip have on "sport mode"

Old 01-21-2008, 04:46 PM
1st Gear
Default What effect will a chip have on "sport mode"

on a DSG? Have an 08 A3 S-Line 2.0 DSG. I couldn't wait any longer and have ordered H&R coilovers, AWE turbo back, GIACreflash and BMC drop in filter. I guess I lose any stock "sport" settings from the ECU other than manual paddle shifting.Since I don't know what it does I guess it won't matter. Anyone shed light on this? Thanks!

Old 01-21-2008, 05:04 PM
Default RE: What effect will a chip have on "sport mode"

ORIGINAL: dr6837

What effect will a chip have on "sport mode"What effect will a chip have on "sport mode"

Cheers!

Old 01-21-2008, 08:07 PM
2nd Gear

LOL!! You would chef...

Old 01-22-2008, 02:12 AM
2nd Gear

I could be entirely wrong here, as I am still not chipped, but it would seem to me that the only thing 'Sport' mode does is control the gearing more aggressively (i.e. hold a gear into higher RPMs before upshifting). I wouldn't think that the tune would mess with this at all, you'll just have more power (higher boost) and reach those higher RPMs more quickly when you give it full throttle.

Old 01-22-2008, 09:05 AM

^^^correct you are!

Cheers!

Old 01-22-2008, 10:04 PM
1st Gear

Ahhh, much grass!
I'm still fretting over spending the bucks on an AWE exhaust that is basically 2.5" like the OEM. It seems I'm paying a bunch for a high flow metal cat. However, I hate to throw $500 additional for a Milltek. Comments? I've got a couple of days to change the purchase.

Old 01-22-2008, 10:08 PM

ORIGINAL: dr6837

It seems I'm paying a bunch for a high flow metal cat.
Yep. Your car will be loud and fast. Hope your state's emissions are easy to pass, or keep the downpipe to change out when needed.

Cheers!

Old 01-25-2008, 11:10 AM
1st Gear

Can I be a total Noob and ask: do they have to access your car to change the software or can you get it and upload it to the car yourself?

Sorry...NOOB alert over!

Old 01-25-2008, 11:28 AM
1st Gear

In the case of GIAC you need to go to an authorized dealer which will load the new program/s via laptop. GIAC has a handheld device for $150 that will allow you to change programs and return to stock(based on the number of programs you purchase). Hope this helps.

Old 01-25-2008, 02:45 PM
2nd Gear

Every chip tune for the A3 does require access to the car or the ECU. You can go to an authorized dealer and have the software uploaded via OBD port, or some tuners will allow you to remove the ECU from the car and mail it to them.

Theoretically, there's no reason why you couldn't do it yourself with a laptop and USB-to-OBD cable; I'm sure the reason the tuners won't let you do this is because they know someone would eventually crack the license key and then no one would pay for it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What effect will a chip have on "sport mode"