Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'06 A4 to fix or not to fix...?

Old 04-23-2016, 08:35 AM
1st Gear
Default '06 A4 to fix or not to fix...?

Hi there, I have an A4 2.0t Quattro with 170k, 6-spd. I need a new front differential, and supposedly it comes with a new transmission so mechanic suggested replacing both (he said mine is making noise) which will run me $2,500 for a used diff/transmission with 75k on it. I can get a $200 warranty on it, and im guessing it could go another 100k perhaps depending on condition.
I am torn if i should keep it or trade in before the problem becomes worse and i am forced to do it, as right now its in early phases. And if i do replace it, what else can I expect to replace now that miles are getting up there. Is it known for any turbo, engine, rear differential, or other issues? And it might be a silly question but is a clutch part of the transmission repair/replacement?

And is there some kind of maintenance that I missed? Should there have been fluids changed that my mechanic missed? He is not an audi expert.

Any thoughts or input appreciated. Im just a few mo's away from paying off and worried if I keep it I might regret. I could trade it in (not sure what I will get, mechanic said this issue is not apparent) for something more reliable. But i do like this car allot.... :/

Old 04-25-2016, 10:16 AM
2nd Gear

I might opt for the warranty depending on how long it is good for, what it covers, and any other conditions that is has. I would guess they will replace the clutch while they do the swap, but I would have them confirm. Only other high dollar item (outside the engine) would be the turbo. You are probably going to need a rebuild/replacement at some point. I am at almost 180k and think I will need to replace the turbo in the next 20 to 50k miles. I have found a rebuild place for about $400 or a replacement can be around $1k. I think of it this way. If I can get by with $3k or $4K in repairs and keep the car another 2, 3, 4 years than it is worth it (especially if you love the car). A $250/mo car payment would run you $6k over 2 years.

If you trust your mechanic then I would follow the recommendation (should you choose to keep the car). I would also take it to the dealer or an Audi shop for a second estimate. I would be surprised that you can't repair the front diff separate from the transmission.