Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1996 A4 Sunroof stuck inside the roof!

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 10:45 AM
Default 1996 A4 Sunroof stuck inside the roof!

Hey

On my way back to Morgantown for school yesterday I opened my sunroof. It has never come back out. When I use the controls I can hear the motor making 2 different noises for open and close, but the sunroof doesn't even move a millimeter.

How can I take care of this or at least close it. I had to go and buy a car cover last night because it is raining, and water-proof only does so much.

Also, 5 shops I called down here won't touch it, including the biggest body shop. Ah!

Old 11-26-2007, 11:00 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: 1996 A4 Sunroof stuck inside the roof!

if you have your owners manual, check in there. There is a manual crank for the sunroof by the map lights on the roof. a little cover pops off, then you use a allen wrench (located on door of fuse panel next to driver door under the steering wheel) then just crank it til it shuts. then consider replacing the motor yourself, saves lot of money

Old 11-26-2007, 11:06 AM

Wonderful! My car has just started taking on water I have noticed. I hope the manual crank works.

Thanks for you help.

Old 11-26-2007, 11:20 AM

The key for the sunroof is not in my fusebox! Neither is the fuse plucker...so somebody made it there before me.

What size is this key? Is it a special unit I will have to order or is it a normal Allen wrench?

Old 11-26-2007, 11:25 AM
5th Gear

it's a small allen. i think it's like 4mm or sm. it's pretty small

Old 11-26-2007, 11:36 AM

Got the right size and cranked away. Both left and right turned and turned until they could turn no more and got stuck.

Where can I go from here?

Is there anyway I can get this puppy closed?
I now have a poncho under the car cover because everything is wet!

Edit: Which way is open and Am i supposed to keep going when it gets stuck, I wasn't trying to break anything worse so Once it got stuck I only gave so much force.

thanks

Old 11-26-2007, 02:24 PM
4th Gear

Sounds to me like the moonroof itself has come apart from the mechanism which is supposed to move it - maybe try reaching in and pulling it shut by hand for now.

Old 11-26-2007, 02:29 PM

^^^^^GOOD ADVICE

I just took off the head liner and got the sunroof in 90%, there is probably a three inch gap between the glass and roof itself.

This is good since it is pooring, unfortunately the dirty water on my headliner now shows this...

Do you suggest stealership for this job? Or do I just need like a new track or something. I am pretty good at DIY

Old 11-26-2007, 04:01 PM

since u already have the headliner out, you can definately DIY...

find a garage, it'll be very helpul to have alot of space, the sunroof is super easy to remove. Your goin to remove it with the tracks attached. Remember to remove the water drain lines.

I don't know how much of this you have tried, but all you really need for this job is a socket wrench and a couple of sockets.

It sounds like your motor is bad....you can buy a new one on eBay for cheap (or a junkyard/lkqonline.com)

while you wait for the new motor, you can manually "force" the glass to it's most forward/closed position...

after you get it closed, re-install the sunroof assembly, but don't waste your time w/ the headliner the motor you ordered comes in, unless you just decide to leave it closed and not re-order a new motor, then your done!

gl!

eBay link to sunroof motor

Old 11-26-2007, 04:21 PM
CLX
Zombie Defense Force

Get one of these and tape it over the hole! No one will ever know!

Quick Reply: 1996 A4 Sunroof stuck inside the roof!