Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1996 Audi A4 Power Steering Fluid Leak Problem**HELP!!!**

Old 09-25-2007, 02:12 PM
1st Gear
Default 1996 Audi A4 Power Steering Fluid Leak Problem**HELP!!!**

watcha people

the A4 is leaking PAS fluid from the steering rack. its turned into quite an expensive problem as i have to keep constantly topping it up.

Has anybody else ever had/come across it or got ANY information what-so-ever about it??

i'd really appreciate some help with this.

cheers

Bren

p.s the car is a A4 1.8 20v NA on 114k miles

Old 09-25-2007, 06:45 PM
Default RE: 1996 Audi A4 Power Steering Fluid Leak Problem**HELP!!!**

first, I just wanted to make sure you are using the mineral based pentosin CHF 11S, if you use any other type you will have major problems...umm secondly, depending on the severity, and wether or not everything has stayed lubricated, you may only need to replace one of the hoses...

can you see exactly where it is leaking our?...if it's coming from the rack, it will need to be replaced, from what i have heard, you will spend alot of time removing and re-installing parts, but as far as the install goes it is pretty easy, although I have heard the banjo bolts are a PITA...

well, gl!...and if you can see where the leak is coming from take a pic and post it up, we may be able to better diagnose ur prob

Old 09-25-2007, 07:26 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: qUaTtRoA4

first, I just wanted to make sure you are using the mineral based pentosin CHF 11S, if you use any other type you will have major problems...umm secondly, depending on the severity, and wether or not everything has stayed lubricated, you may only need to replace one of the hoses...

can you see exactly where it is leaking our?...if it's coming from the rack, it will need to be replaced, from what i have heard, you will spend alot of time removing and re-installing parts, but as far as the install goes it is pretty easy, although I have heard the banjo bolts are a PITA...

well, gl!...and if you can see where the leak is coming from take a pic and post it up, we may be able to better diagnose ur prob
i'm using the properfluid from audi.

fingers crossed everything is still lubed up. the leak is from underneath rthe bulkhead. it also comes out in the inner arch via the steering track arm and the boot is covered in it.

i will try my best to get a picture and stck it up asap as long as the good old english weather stays bright.

in the meantime if you have ANY ideas let me know

p.s if i do have to replace any piping will 3:16 copper brake piping do the job? i've still got lots of that from my mk1 golf's!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-25-2007, 08:34 PM

I had mine replaced like a year ago, I'm sure theres better options out there but I had the dealership install a rebuilt steering rack, they are quite cheaper then a new one. My leak was going right into the wheel.

Old 10-24-2007, 05:06 AM
1st Gear

just wanted to see if any body else could help me with this so i've bought the thread back to the top.

still isn't fixed and is now much worse. hadn't driven it in 2 weeks till today, topped it up with more PAS fluid (V.A.G fluid)

drove into town and back and it sounds terrible!!! i was actually embarrassed in it, the noise was so loud, it sounds like a whirring, but gets louder if i steer or if i accelerate/put my foot on the gas. the actual revs of the car are also going up and down whilst in traffic from 500 up to 1100rpm by itself.

has anybody got ANY ideas what-so-ever on what the hell is going on with this a4!?

i really REALLY need some help[sm=boohoo.gif]

Old 10-24-2007, 08:48 AM
3rd Gear

If you're looking for someone to diagnose your problem as a simple, $2 fix across in the internet, it's probably not going to happen. As previously suggested, have you attempted to locate the source of the leak? Because I thought that that was a pretty swell idea.

But now, since your problem is much worse, I think you're past that and you need to take it to a mechanic ASAP because the previous, "Do nothing about it," plan hasn't proven effective. Get the damned thing fixed...it's simple advice, but generally spot on.

Old 10-24-2007, 09:17 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: sineo

If you're looking for someone to diagnose your problem as a simple, $2 fix across in the internet, it's probably not going to happen. As previously suggested, have you attempted to locate the source of the leak? Because I thought that that was a pretty swell idea.

But now, since your problem is much worse, I think you're past that and you need to take it to a mechanic ASAP because the previous, "Do nothing about it," plan hasn't proven effective. Get the damned thing fixed...it's simple advice, but generally spot on.
forgot to mention where it was leaking from, sorry about that. its coming from the steering rack.

i'm not looking for a $2 fix, although that would be nice, i think you've got me slightly wrong, i haven't done the "Do nothing about it," plan at all. i've been underneath it, had it up on ramps, been down local Audi dealer had them put it up on ramps for a quick peeketc the only difference is that i actually had no other choice but to drive the A4 today. normally i would use another car so that i'm not putting un-needed strain on the PAS pump by driving round town.

i would do as you say and take it to a mechanic BUT, i haven't got the money to pay a professional mechanic's bill. thats why i posted up on this forum in the first place to see if anyone has had the same or a similar problem and if so, how did they fix it.

your advice is spot on as you say, but only if you have the finances to back it up, which i don't.

if anyone has ever come across a problem ike this or does have any general information, let me know

Old 10-24-2007, 10:27 AM
3rd Gear

Well, I guess what I'm saying is that you're going to have to spend money to fix this, whether you do the labor or not, whether you can easily afford it or not. If you're having to add fluid regularly and it's making a noise, it's probably past the point of this being helpful, but Lucas makes a fluid that is supposed to stop power steering leaks. You can find it at any auto parts store. When I thought I had a power steering leak, that's a solution I found on this forum.

If you're sure that the leak is coming from the rack itself, you can replace it yourself, but the rack isexpensive. I think in the long run, or even short run as your problem is a worsening one, it will be cheaper to nip this in the bud as soon as you can.

Old 10-24-2007, 11:01 AM
5th Gear

Lucas FTW. pls don't drive ur car anymroe till u get it fixed. see if u can located the exact spot. it could be just a seal that broke or sm. don't wanna have to replace that rack if u don't need to. and like sineo said, it is expensive lol. unless of course u can find a used one for cheap. pm wood_e and ask him if he'll sell his to u. he's got a 2.8 12v but i think the parts are identical. and off topic, how is ur 1.8 NA? that's like riding a bicycle lol

Old 10-24-2007, 02:20 PM
1st Gear

totally agree Sineo, i'll do m best and keep the thread updated with how i get on. do you think its worth me buying that Lucas stuff you mention? i've found it for sale, about £20 for a litre, let me know matey

ORIGINAL: hiwords

Lucas FTW. pls don't drive ur car anymroe till u get it fixed. see if u can located the exact spot. it could be just a seal that broke or sm. don't wanna have to replace that rack if u don't need to. and like sineo said, it is expensive lol. unless of course u can find a used one for cheap. pm wood_e and ask him if he'll sell his to u. he's got a 2.8 12v but i think the parts are identical. and off topic, how is ur 1.8 NA? that's like riding a bicycle lol
i promise i wont drive it anymore mate, i'll have get it back on ramps and clean the firewall from underneath so that i can try to pin point the leak.

thanks for your input lads, i appreciate it

EDIT:- 1.8 NA is a slow, gutless engine!!! dont ever buy one!!!! lol (good on mileage though 95 miles to £10 )

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1996 Audi A4 Power Steering Fluid Leak Problem**HELP!!!**