Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1997 A4 1.8T Quattro rough idle problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 07:06 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: 1997 A4 1.8T Quattro rough idle problem

Hey,

Welll, unfortunately my car broke down a couple days ago. The oil light was coming on, then going off intermittently, then I lost all power on the freeway. I got it towed to the dealership and they said the timing belt broke. They said it'd cost 600 bucks just to open up the engine to inspect the damage, which would likely be pretty bad since it broke on the freeway, and worst case I'd need a new engine. Maybe some of you guys could give me an idea of what costs I should expect. I'm thinking I should probably get it towed to an independent shop to do the job, since I don't have a lot of money to work with. But I want to make sure they do a good job. Neverfigured outthe misfire problem, maybe my timing belt was going bad, not sure, but doesn't matter any more haha. Any advice would help, I'm sure some people here have done engine replacement/repair and can give me some advice to make sure I'm not ripped off, thanx.

Old 07-16-2007, 11:15 AM
1st Gear

Benji123,
Been reading your post and saw your most recent.

Sorry to hear you snapped your belt on the freeway as what I've been told in worst case when the valve tags a piston it can cause it to **** in the bore and destroy the short blockbecause these pistions have a short skirt design.

I'm kinda in the same boat as to refferance to you eariler post asI bought my sisters 99 A4 and she drove it 119K without a belt change to the point that it misfires...not good!

Drove it home and took off the top belt cover to find the hydtensioner failed,did a belt kit,water pump, coil packs, cam sensor, fired her up and it still misfires and does not idle at all....I'm worried it may really be valve damage from the loose belt and have done a cylinder pres test and a leak down..

Was going to try the ICM next and will try that test earlier posted.

I was quoted about $280. for that part..I did price new engines and I find they can go from $850. used with 55kto $4,500 new.

Old 09-22-2007, 08:33 PM
1st Gear

Just thought I'd add to my post. I got a rebuild cylinder head for about $850 and thetiming belt kit from ECS w/ lightweight pulley. Also, I'm fairly certain that my rough idle problems were probably caused by a massively cracked crankcase breather hose. I got all my used parts back and that hose was totally cracked. So if you've got rough idle problems and you've checked your ICM, coilpacks, spark plugsand MAF, definitely check the hoses out. I'm still learning but checking for all that stuffhas given me a way better understading of my car. This is a great site and thanks everyone for the help. My car's running awesome now, and soon I'll have the repairs paid off so I can chip it haha!

Old 03-09-2017, 07:40 PM
Default 97 Audi a4 bad misfire on cylinder 3

I have a really bad misfire on my cylinder 3 I have a 97 Audi A4 1.8 t and I cannot figure out why my third cylinders misfire and I put new spark plugs in but when I start the car for a little bit the spark plugs are wet so I know that it should not be the injectors and any help will be well appreciated thank you guys have a nice day