Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1997 Audi A4 QUATTRO, is that a reliable car?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2005, 04:50 AM
1st Gear
Default 1997 Audi A4 QUATTRO, is that a reliable car?

Hey guys I am new to this forum. I came here looking for a feedback about 1997 Audi A4 QUATTRO (both engine versions).
Next year I am going to colledge and I need something to get me there almost every day, something that handles good, reliable, have desent economy on highway.
As I found out this car seems to be pretty good, I just want to ask you guys whethere someone here had an experience with this car.
And maybe recomendations whether I should buy which engine 1.8T or 2.8

and just one more question about engines, aren't they VW's engine? one 1.8t and another one also called VR6?

Thank you guys

Old 03-30-2005, 05:01 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: 1997 Audi A4 QUATTRO, is that a reliable car?

i came from a 01 GMC Sonoma to a 99 2.8 Quattro and i absolutly love it soo much. kinda sadly its most of my life now. but i say go with it. id wait and see what other people say about 1.8t or the 2.8 but i really like my 2.8, theres not much major engine crap you can do except a supercharger. so im gonna wait for Jest or someone to answer the rest.

ps. my 50th post.. 32 => 50 in a day... no life

Old 03-30-2005, 06:05 AM
2nd Gear

if your main concern is reliability, go with the 2.8....in 96-97 they made the 12 valve 2.8L v6, and in 98 (i believe) they changed it to the 30 valve 2.8L v6...the 12 valve is one of audi's most reliable engines to date...not very fast though. if you want to do any modding, you'll want the 1.8T....if you want good handling make sure you get the sport suspension (the springs will be red)...you'll get better gas mileage with the 1.8T, i get about 20mpg which i think is average for the v6, 1.8Ts get 25-30+

Old 03-30-2005, 11:02 AM

if you are going to school and on a tight budjet looking for something relible I would personally look at like a Hona Civic or something along these lines very relible cheap to maintaine and worry about getting a Audi after you are done school and have more time and money

Old 03-30-2005, 04:35 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: clconversion

if you are going to school and on a tight budjet looking for something relible I would personally look at like a Hona Civic or something along these lines very relible cheap to maintaine and worry about getting a Audi after you are done school and have more time and money
true, but I am kinda scared of too little cars, plus audi A4 quattro is a 4WD, which might be usefull, and I just heared that audi's reliabilety is pretty good.

I'll just need to find one in good condition.

Thanks guys for advices

Old 03-30-2005, 05:08 PM
5th Gear

haha, if CL is saying buy a honda, that should mean something He's right though... audi's arent like, unreliable cars... they are very solid in build quality, fit and finish, etc... but when something does go wrong, you bend over and assume the position... I've only had one bill on my car so far, havent fixed it yet... but its an emissions thing, air pump actually... 875 dollars. If you dont like the little civics... then check out the accord with the 4 cyl engine. You can get a 5 spd with the 4 cyl as well, and they last forever! Even better for reliability, is the camry... that car would make some people fall asleep at teh wheel.... but still, for a school and back car... it makes a lot of sense.

IF you have the money to fix the audi, go with it. But if your looking at a 97... you obviously dont have too much cash lying around... and a 97 will need more repairs. So, you have less money, and will need to repair it more often. Its a double edged sword, buying an older car! Did that analogy make sense?

Old 03-30-2005, 05:20 PM
1st Gear

well I was actually looking into 97 because that engine seems to be reliable, plus that had less problems then in 1996 and as BFlan2001 said was the last year when they made 12 valve 2.8L v6. PLus I know a very good place where people can fix cars relatively cheaper. And it is a 4wd, and since I propably will not be able to buy anything newer. But I'll see if I'll be able to find a good deal

Old 03-30-2005, 05:26 PM
4th Gear

oui it did. don't worry buddy, i'm in the same boat. i'm looking at getting 98+ if i can, but i'm a uni student looking at an audi. it's definatly a good idea to have a wad of sah (excess of $1000) lying around incase the audi decides to choke, but that's what our summers are for... right?

handling? go with the 1.8T. something i havn't seen mentioned in a while... the 1.8T handles much better than the 2.8

Old 03-30-2005, 05:31 PM

yea the 96-97's are the most relible but they still have all the regular problems that the rest of us have with the creaking control arms expensive maintances timing belt changes wheel bearings etc if you can do most of these repairs yourself you will save a ton of cash but if you need to get the labour done at a shop it will get pricey

Old 03-30-2005, 05:31 PM
1st Gear

True, I was thinking to go for 2.8, but know I did started to think that it would be economical to get 1.8t, but 1.8t does have some problems, does anyone here have experience problems with 1.8t from around that time?

Quick Reply: 1997 Audi A4 QUATTRO, is that a reliable car?