Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 Audi 1.8 A4 problems Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 09:28 PM
Default 2004 Audi 1.8 A4 problems Anyone?

I have a 2004 Audi A4 1.8 6 speed ~~~~~~ 90,000KM's so it'snow outside warranty...

First I will list all the problems we have experienced,I would like to know if these are more common than we are being led to believe...
I would also like to ask the car buffs a question as I have no confidence in the dealerships service department.

Problems with Audi A4 1.8 Avant

Windshield Wipers: Ongoing (waiting for part, wiper linkage)
Symptom very very slow hardly moving ..

Coolant leak:

Ignition Coil replaced .. Audi says 2004's are not a problem and will only pay up to 2003 models. I believe 2004 are a problem anyone else out there ??
Light sensor .. intermitant fault ..Sometimes the headlights stay on (I now stand and wait to make sure they go off before walking away) Told by dealership " It's just one of those things"

Glove box break

Rear light bulb replacement

ONGOING PROBLEM:- Any thoughts would be appreciated..

For the past year I have noticed a lack of' 'performance' with my Audi .. It drives and accelerates but to me it feels like the Turbo isn't kicking in.No feeling like I am being pushed back into my seat.. Just kinda blah... I am most definately a 'DRIVER' I have always driven a standard and would never consider an automatic.. I like to feel I drive the car rather than it drives me...

OK back to symptons.. When passing other carsI used to put my foot down and get extra acceleration.. now I find just changing down one gear doesn't give me enough power to pass and I have to change down again.. I have been to the dealer and said .. I have a lack of power it feels sluggish and as if there is a slight missfire.. I wouldn't call it a vibration something that to me is subtle as if you are driving over a road that has teeny bumps...like supressed coughs..Well I'm just a 'gal so of course I feel I get the sexist fob off treatment..

After reading some of the forum posts I am concerened that I am right and it is the Turbo or an engine sludge problem .. Last thing I need is the engine blowing and afterall the dealership keep telling me nothing is wrong.. Now it's no longer under warranty I am concerned that it is .. Course if the engine blows I'd definately hire a lawyer as this is ongoing from before warranty expiration.. Round trip to dealer 1,000Km's visits in the past 2 weeks .. TWO !!
Waiting for the part RE: windshield wipersthat willmake it3 X 1,000 Km roundtrips in as many weeks ..

If anyone could give me any insight here to the lack of power/performance/accelerationit would be greatly appreciated...

Looking forward to hearing from you.. Many Thanks in advanceto all that respond

Goldeneye

Old 08-07-2007, 10:31 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: 2004 Audi 1.8 A4 problems Anyone?

First thing I would do is get the car scanned for codes.
Maybe find an import shop that specializes in vw/audi and get a second opinion.

or maybe you are just used to the power now, and its time to get that thing chipped!

Old 08-07-2007, 11:35 PM
Default RE: 2004 Audi 1.8 A4 problems Anyone?

May be bad MAF or n75....