Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 Audi A4 Cranks but won't start?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 10:26 PM
1st Gear
Default 99 Audi A4 Cranks but won't start?

Hi Guys, This is my first post here but I've been reading over the last few months and all of the helpful posts have helped me tremendously!

So now my problem....On Saturday I was driving my car around town and it was acting completely and totally normal. Stopped in a parking lot and was idling for a moment, then I went to put it in first gear to drive away and it died like I had killed it. Tried to start it again and it started but died immediately. Tried a few more times and the same thing, it would start and then no matter how much gas I would give it it wouldn't rev and just died. I pushed it to a gas station to make sure it wasn't just out of gas and that didn't help. Walked over to AutoZone and got some Carburetor Spray and my husband sprayed it into something under the hood while I started the car. While he was spraying it the car would stay at idle but still wouldn't rev. Towed it home, hooked up a code reader and there's no codes.

I tried starting it again today and this time it would crank and crank like it wanted to start but just couldn't.

I am NOT a car person and I have been googling my butt off for the last 3 days but I just don't know what's wrong.

Do you guys have any suggestions on were to start since I don't have any codes to tell me?

Ummm specs.... It's a 1999 Audi A4 Quattro wagon. 1.8 with a Turbo. 4 cylinders. I've only owned it for three months and it was a repo so I don't know much about it's history. If you need any more info just let me know and I'll find the answer.

Thanks in advance for any help or guidance you might be able to provide!

Old 05-01-2013, 02:28 AM
1st Gear

Fuel pump? Open the hood and stand keying the ignition to "run" WITHOUT starting it in 2 second intervals. You should hear the fuel pump kick on for 2 seconds and then after a few keyings you will hear a hiss sound under the hood(the pressure regulator releasing the excess fuel).. If you don't hear that it could be a fuse, relay or the pump itself..

Let us know

Old 05-01-2013, 10:34 AM
2nd Gear

If the fuel pump does prime then check (replace) the fuel filter. If that is getting clogged it would prevent enough fuel from getting to the pump/engine.

Old 05-01-2013, 04:46 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by CryptoStorm
Fuel pump? Open the hood and stand keying the ignition to "run" WITHOUT starting it in 2 second intervals. You should hear the fuel pump kick on for 2 seconds and then after a few keyings you will hear a hiss sound under the hood(the pressure regulator releasing the excess fuel).. If you don't hear that it could be a fuse, relay or the pump itself..

Let us know
Okay, I just got home from work and tried this. Not only did I not hear the hissing under the hood but there was also no humming noise coming from the fuel pump area, usually it hums but this time it was silent

So......what should I try next?

Thanks for the replies!!

Old 05-01-2013, 06:40 PM
1st Gear

First thing to check is the fuel pump fuse.. Open your drivers door, and in the part of the dash the door normally covers when shut there is a fuse panel door. Pry the panel out with flathead screwdriver.

The fuel pump fuse is on the left 3rd from the bottom.. 15a fuse

Old 05-02-2013, 08:51 PM
1st Gear

So my mechanic friend came over last night to check my fuses and relay and such. They all looked fine so he opened the little trap door in my trunk to see if the pump was getting any power. The power was working fine but the fuel pump looked like an original (99 audi with 186k miles lol) so we went to the auto parts store and bought a new pump and filter. Once the new pump was installed it took a few cycles of turning the key off and on like in the first response and then it started right up.
He wasn't able to install the new filter at that time so I figure my husband can do it this weekend so I don't have to worry about that in the future!

Thank you all for the replies. I've only had my car a few months and these forums have already saved me so much money! This is where I learned that the reason my car wouldn't drive after the battery died is because it needed a throttle body adaptation (also where I learned the proper way to jump start it in the future so as not to need that again lol) and where I learned that the reason my blinkers only sometimes work is because I need a new Hazzard Relay. I really love my car so I'm glad I have some place to come for some DIY help

Old 05-06-2013, 02:47 PM
Banned

yeah in tank pump should solve it

Old 03-05-2014, 10:34 PM
1st Gear
Default A8 audi qauttro

shut my car off now it wont start what could be the problem.

Old 03-05-2014, 10:36 PM
1st Gear

shut my 1999 A8 audi off now it wont start what could be the problem

Old 06-30-2016, 06:48 PM
1st Gear
Default Did you resolve this?

My guess would be to check the Fuel pump Relay, since it is a 1999 model it won't have a ECM for the fuel pump.