Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TICKING NOISE IN MY DASHBOARD

Old 01-18-2005, 07:04 AM
Default TICKING NOISE IN MY DASHBOARD

I've just bought a 16V coupe, which i love, but it has an annoying ticking coming from the dashboard somewhere, it kind of gets quicker with the engine revs. Can't work out whats causing it, anyone had this problem or have any ideas what it could be?.

Old 01-18-2005, 06:49 PM
6th Gear
Default RE: TICKING NOISE IN MY DASHBOARD

sure it's not coming from the speakers? Aftermarket radio?

Old 01-27-2005, 05:40 PM

it could be a bent valve. its probably not but i have a friend in tennessee and he hada bent valve in his 240SX and it made the dash tick and rattle and it got louder with higher rpms

Old 01-27-2005, 06:31 PM
6th Gear

what are you trying to freak the guy out?

Old 01-27-2005, 06:38 PM

no seriously it could happen i mean it in all seriousness. open your hood and have a friend rev the engine if you hear a " Clingk clingk cl;ingk" its the valve

Old 01-28-2005, 03:40 AM
2nd Gear

Mine makes the same noise even when the car is off, the sounds is coming from the climate control and vent area. Also you TB will make noise if it adjusts but you cant hear it if the car is on.

Old 01-28-2005, 04:28 AM
1st Gear

Ok, now I know I am not crazy. I know exactely the noise you are taking about in the dash. I still get it and I know it is not a bent valve because if I press down hard on the back of the dash where it is almost flush with the windshield, it stops. I also had a rattle coming from somewhere by the pass. door and glove compartment. I am thinking a bit of paper or some foam would fix the dash problem.

Old 01-28-2005, 10:14 AM
4th Gear

NK needs to give us some more description. Does the clicking start if he turns the key on, bu not the engine? Turn the climate control on and off. If it goes off with the fan, then the fan is rattling, or the bearing on the heater fan is worn. Does it get worse when he goes over a rough road? Does it stop if he pushes somewhere? Which part of the dash does it come from?

could be anything from worn control arms to a coin in the glove box.

do some trouble shooting and give us a better description of what you have tried, where the noise is coming from, what makes it worse, or what makes it better.

Then we may be able to give some better answers

Old 01-28-2005, 04:35 PM

ORIGINAL: a224932

Ok, now I know I am not crazy. I know exactely the noise you are taking about in the dash. I still get it and I know it is not a bent valve because if I press down hard on the back of the dash where it is almost flush with the windshield, it stops. I also had a rattle coming from somewhere by the pass. door and glove compartment. I am thinking a bit of paper or some foam would fix the dash problem.

thats good news. get a bently and take it apart some weekend and maybe use the 3m body kit tape or if nessesary put a screw through it. i would look for alternative before i put a screw through anything

Old 02-13-2005, 05:11 PM

Hi

I just posted a message about my rev counter not working. It started with a clicking sound that like in the dashboard. It sounded like what ever was holding the needles in place, was loose. The needles have now dropped down but tries to come up in extreme weather, making that same clicking sound again.

Worth checking
Guera
South Africa

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: TICKING NOISE IN MY DASHBOARD