Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

After Suspension ... Before Alignment

Old 08-06-2005, 04:17 PM
1st Gear
Default After Suspension ... Before Alignment

I got nuespeed sports springs & Koni Sports shocks in my Audi A4 2001, AWD, yesterday.
It lowered the car pretty good, actually with stock 15 " wheels on it.

Since it got too late last nite, to get it aligned, I had to drive back home.
By the time I got home, I could hear some repetitive hissing sounds, especially when driving slow in Forward.
In reverse I could hear louder hum+screeching sounds (most probably right rear, not sure though), more like when brake pads are too old.

My first impression was alignment problem.

This morning I took it to Firestone, who told me earlier that they could do it, but since the car was lowered, they were unable to put some kind of jack underneath the car.
so I called quite a few places, but no was taking '01 A4 Quattros, one good shop I found was closed on sat/sun.

Problem is me being living in small town, here in Illinois, so most of the better service places are like 30 + miles away, towards the city. DANG IT ... The city don't have too many either.
I already've put on like 80-90 miles, driving back and forth since the suspension was done yesterday. Can't get it to some place for alignment.

I've two questoins here:
- What could be that constant hissing sound (in forward) and a louder sound.
- I have a set of 18" wheel that I'm waiting to put on. Is it better to put them on first, and then aligned, or it does'nt matter during alignment, which size of wheels are on there. I'm just afraid right now, to put them on, and then drive it to a shop I found (once again around 40 miles away), it might reck something else.

Anyway, the first question is more important. I know I'm not giving much details to sort it out. But any help would be appreciated.
For second question, I guess I could stuff the set of 18" wheels, in the back seat and in the trunk, drive it there, put it on, and align. I'm just thinking that something else might've been messed up as I've already done around 80+ miles.

Thanks guys.
[:-]

Old 08-06-2005, 09:44 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: After Suspension ... Before Alignment

You can drive a couple hundred miles after putting your suspension on and before aligning the car without any negative effects. Actually, that is recommended to let everything settle in. That way your suspension has settled and the alignment will not be premature to the settling.

Don;t worry about putting those wheels on after the alignment.

Old 08-06-2005, 10:02 PM
1st Gear

Any idea, what these hissing sounds might be. Gets louder on reverse (way loud).
Thanks.

Old 08-06-2005, 10:04 PM
6th Gear

Thats kind of a generic description really. You need someone to ride with you or stand outside to help diagnose this.

Old 08-06-2005, 11:35 PM
1st Gear

hey Diavan... I recently got my car lowered by audi, and they told me to bring the car back to have the front end re-aligned after 500 miles...So let every thing settle

Old 08-07-2005, 04:00 AM
1st Gear

Figured out the ptoblem.
My brake pads are worn out. They must be moved around during the suspension replacement.
Now they are crying to get a replaced too.

What is the best solution for pads+rotors combo (not too heavy on the pocket).
Also, is this replacement an easy DIY. I've done my GT and Altima. But in Audi's, everything is kinda complicated.

Thanks guys.

-Navaid

Old 08-07-2005, 06:22 AM

u can just get some rotors from a lot of places. and get some nice pads. Its like aroudn 200 for front rotors depending on style. Barke pads for good ones are lik 80 or 90 depending on if u are getting a sensor in them taht is needed on some cars. Go to the audi links to see palces that sell rotors and stuff.

Old 08-07-2005, 03:48 PM
2nd Gear

AWE TUNING had a brake package for 500 bux w/ Zimmerman rotors I believe, don't know if thats still available.

Old 08-07-2005, 06:48 PM
1st Gear

Brembo

Old 08-08-2005, 02:39 AM
1st Gear

Brembo drilled or OEM kind ??

Any good store to buy them from .. ??

Where to look for, to find out if I need sensors in the pads. A4 2001 1.8T AWD!!