Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AIR BOX HUMMING Noise?? Fan noise after car turned off!

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 01:39 PM
1st Gear
Default AIR BOX HUMMING Noise?? Fan noise after car turned off!

98 2.8L V6 Manual Quattro car:

ok so it was verycold this morning , about -10 C. I'm driving to work and I'm almost there and I hear this sort of humming 'noisy' fan noise from front of car. "what could this be?"

Anyways I turn off car and its still on!

I open hood and check, its not the Rad fans, but it is coming from under the airbox! the airbox is lightly vibrating while this humming noise continues.

So after about 3-4 minutes its still going strong. I start up the car to back it into spot (in case I will have to tow it if battery is dead). Turn off car, and humming sort of fizzles out and stops! Thankfully

Now - What the hell was that? and how do I fix it? I dont want my battery running down on me!

Thanks!

Old 10-19-2007, 05:01 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: AIR BOX HUMMING Noise?? Fan noise after car turned off!

I'm having the same problem w/ my 99 A4 except itDID run my battery down!
I'm gonna' tear into it this weekend, so I'll post anything I find-

Please do the same!

Old 10-19-2007, 05:35 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: Schlampah

98 2.8L V6 Manual Quattro car:

ok so it was verycold this morning , about -10 C. I'm driving to work and I'm almost there and I hear this sort of humming 'noisy' fan noise from front of car. "what could this be?"

Anyways I turn off car and its still on!

I open hood and check, its not the Rad fans, but it is coming from under the airbox! the airbox is lightly vibrating while this humming noise continues.

So after about 3-4 minutes its still going strong. I start up the car to back it into spot (in case I will have to tow it if battery is dead). Turn off car, and humming sort of fizzles out and stops! Thankfully

Now - What the hell was that? and how do I fix it? I dont want my battery running down on me!

Thanks!
could be the secondary injection pump but idk why it would be on during driving and after driving

Old 01-28-2008, 09:28 AM

The exact same thing is happening to my car and i CANT figure it out.

Old 07-08-2010, 01:21 PM

Same for me. The noise stays on after I switch of my 51 plate TT. It ran my battery completely flat. Any suggestions would be most appreciated!

Old 08-16-2010, 12:37 AM
1st Gear

my car does this all the time but I always assumed that it was because it is really REALLY hot in the summer where i live. Mine usually stops after 10 minutes tops though.

I dont know what it is or how to fix it, other than start up your car and turn it off again. It should stop after that. Its a little bit of trouble but its easier than having to be jumped or paying a few hundred to get it fixed.

Old 11-25-2010, 11:03 PM
1st Gear
Default Fan noise after car turned off!

we really need some help with this one i have a 99 audi a4 2.8

Old 12-01-2010, 11:38 AM
1st Gear
Default Airbox humming Noise!!?

Hi Everyone, did anyone figure out what the problem is or how to fix it....im very concern my car started doing the exact same thing and it got to the point where the humming noise would not stop, anyways, it drained my battery completely and had to purchase a new battery....so temporarly i had to disconnect this round motor directly below the air box very close to the bumper...ive been driving my audi (1998 audi a4 2.8 fwd) w/out this...can someone please please help??? does anyone know what the part is called even when i put the part # nothing comes up....any information will be greatly appreciated...thank you

Old 12-01-2010, 08:23 PM
1st Gear

anyone?

Old 12-04-2010, 08:47 AM
1st Gear

Could it be the cabin air fan? Maybe the relay for fan power is getting stuck in the ON position? You could see if this is it by finding the fuse to the fan and pulling it the next time rhe noise doesn't go away on it's own.

Quick Reply: AIR BOX HUMMING Noise?? Fan noise after car turned off!