Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audi A4 2008 shakes when pressing gas down more than usual (B8 I think)

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 11:53 PM
1st Gear
Exclamation Audi A4 2008 shakes when pressing gas down more than usual (B8 I think)

I just bought an Audi A8 S2.0T 2008 manual (I think its a B8 because of the VIN has an 8 in the 10th character in it). It shakes when I press harder than usual on the gas. If I let off and drive casually the shake goes away. This does not happen in 1st and cant tell with 2nd, but 3rd - 6th it does it when I give it a good amount of gas.

I have been reading some excellent posts on this site regarding these models and some known issues and it doesn't seem like the clutch, nor does it seem like mounts as I would probably experience the shaking at other speeds and so on. Could this be the coil packs that everyone is talking about? Maybe the fuel pump / lines / injector since I am giving it more gas than usual? Spark plugs?

Anything I can check for that anyone has experienced?

By the way, with the advice from all of the people here I was able to drill down the car I wanted and this one is it! I just want it to drive smooth / faster when I want it to. Everything else about the car is solid! Thanks for your expertise in advance folks!

Old 05-19-2016, 12:12 AM
1st Gear

Oh I did buy a scantool that is arriving tomorrow since there were some great posts for that android app TORQUE

BAFX Products 34t5 Bluetooth OBDII Scan Tool for Android Devices

That should do the trick to tell me more info. I am doubtful of getting specifics from it however.

Old 05-19-2016, 01:38 PM
2nd Gear

Codes should help you narrow it down a lot further. If you don't want to wait for your reader any Autozone will read the codes for you. Do you have a check engine on?

A 2008 is a B7 just so you know. I don't think any late year 2008s were B8s, but anything is possible.

Really sounds like it could be a coil pack and you notice more under acceleration. It could also be your MAF. If that gets out of whack it could be forcing to much fuel compared to air causing the roughness. Curious as to what RPM it happens at? If you are in to high a gear and try and floor it a car would also act as you describe.

Old 05-19-2016, 03:58 PM
1st Gear

I do have a check engine on and returned these codes (I took poor notes):

P0455 Gross Leak something something
P0507 RPM higher something something
P0441 Something evap control
P2181 Cooling system performance something
P0171 System too lean

My main hope is that these codes are simple DIY issues, but the P0455 is concerning. I have not seen anything but I have not researched enough today to fully understand the scope of what could be affected.

I did not get any coil messages on the reader so I brought it to the dealer (unfortunately a BMW dealer) I bought it from 2 days ago. They said my 3rd coil sounds / feels like it is misfiring. The mechanic took it for a ride with me.

At least this is something I can DIY! I called an AUDI dealer to get a diagnostic run on the car Monday morning to see what all of these other codes are.

I will let yall know if it was coil pack or not so there is some history on this for other readers!

Old 05-29-2016, 03:43 AM
1st Gear

Replaced the coil pack on #3 and she aint boggin anymore!

Now for the rest of my fault codes....

Thanks for the suggestion! Took me a bit to get back to this forum :-(