Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blown Turbo ??

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 12:56 PM
Default Blown Turbo ??

Hello everyone,
Here is my situation 1998 A4 1.8 Q 65K 2nd owner.
The car is my wifes and was owned by a 60+ yr old woman previously (not beat by some young kid).
First problem was auto trans notupshifting (would stay in 2ndlonger than usual) nextwould come to a stop and go to take off and would feel like ignition problem (sluggish, bucking andthen like hitting a stall converter rpm take off) next problem on highway and wont shift into high gear.
Alsowhile in park rpm will drop to about 700 and then shoot up to 2000 and back down.

I thought there might be something wrong with transmision so I took it to a transmission shop, they of course said it needed a transmision. I didn't think that jived with the rpm fluctuation so I took it to the Audi dealer to have any codes read from ECU (the check engine light has never come on) they said transmission is fine and that there was a code indicating low boost from turbo so they tried replacng the boost valve this didn't work and then they said it needs a new turbo. I am concerned that the only diagnosis is based on codes and the replacement of valve no boost measurements or physical inspection of the turbo impeller, oil lines or anything else.

I have read much on this board as to malfunctioning ECU and wonder if this is not more likely the problem. I would appreciate any suggestions that could assist me in the propper diagnosis of this problem.I am located in Danbury CT and if there is a mechanic near me that is knowledgable and trustworthy please refer them to me.

Thank You,

Old 06-22-2007, 01:05 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Blown Turbo ??

you would definatley no if you had a blown turbo and by what your stating the turbo doesnt seem to be the problem.Before you get any quotes from the stealership i would find that "reliable" shop that would be at least half the price. where you located?

[/align]

Old 06-22-2007, 01:22 PM

The dealer quoted 1500+ for the Turbo and I paid 200.00 for diagnosis. I am in Danbury, Connecticut. Please someone give me some input.

Old 06-22-2007, 02:18 PM
4th Gear

The fluctuating RPM is where I would start.

Lets get that fixed, and go from there.

Does it always do that in park? Or just when cold, or just when warm?

Take the hose of the throttle body intake that comes from the side intercooler. open up the butterfly valve and look in there with a light. My guess is its very dirty, probably never been cleaned.

Get a can of carberator cleaner, and spray a bunch in there (puta rag under the intake so you dont get crap all over). Scrub it nice and clean as far in as you can get with a toothbrush (not the one you're going to use tomorrow morning). Spray more cleaner in, wipe with rag, repeat until very clean, and spraying cleaner in runs back out clean. Make sure to get all around in there, top, bottom, backside of butterfly valve.

Then hook it all bak up, and start the car, and see if the idle is better or not.

Then post back the results, and we'll see where to go next.

Old 06-22-2007, 02:25 PM
1st Gear

wow, you can buy a new K03 for $300-400 and install it yourself..... sure beats $1500. or, if you really love your wife you could buy her a K04

Old 06-22-2007, 02:50 PM
4th Gear

LOl, yeah if she's really cool, get her a k04!

Of course, no point in replacing the turbo if it aint broke. The 60 yr old that owned it before probably hardly used the turbo, it really doesnt do sh*t until 3000 rpm on your car.

Old 06-22-2007, 03:27 PM
3rd Gear

from the symptoms it does not sound like the turbo... you would be hearing major dentist drill if it was shot... i would also check for vac leaks those can lead to rough idle as well. try the Throttle body cleaning first.

let us know how it goes...

there's nothing wrong with using a toothbrush for cleaning valves and brushing teeth...

Old 06-22-2007, 03:30 PM
1st Gear

i tihnk danbury is about an hour from me...im in springfield ma....i have an excellent mechanic (i wont let anyone else touch my car) father's and son's porsche/audi in west springfield, mechanic is roland Sr. his son also is a mechanic, roland Jr., even the techs that work ther eare very knowledgable, i can give u there number and u can talk to them they are very helpful.

Old 06-22-2007, 03:57 PM

Thanks for your reply, in answer to when this happens it is when warm generally 15 miles of driving.
ORIGINAL: acetrebo

The fluctuating RPM is where I would start.

Lets get that fixed, and go from there.

Does it always do that in park? Or just when cold, or just when warm?

Take the hose of the throttle body intake that comes from the side intercooler. open up the butterfly valve and look in there with a light. My guess is its very dirty, probably never been cleaned.

Get a can of carberator cleaner, and spray a bunch in there (puta rag under the intake so you dont get crap all over). Scrub it nice and clean as far in as you can get with a toothbrush (not the one you're going to use tomorrow morning). Spray more cleaner in, wipe with rag, repeat until very clean, and spraying cleaner in runs back out clean. Make sure to get all around in there, top, bottom, backside of butterfly valve.

Then hook it all bak up, and start the car, and see if the idle is better or not.

Then post back the results, and we'll see where to go next.

Old 06-22-2007, 04:23 PM
4th Gear

Well, give it a try.

The fact that engine light is not on, and there were no codes other than the low boost code, is good. I doubt the turbo is bad.
I had a similar fluctuation, though not as bad, and I had no codes, just a real dirty TB. Mine would go up and down between 800-1200 at idle, and everytime I shifted or took the car out of gear, it would drop down to like 300 for a second and then back up to normal (900).

Quick Reply: Blown Turbo ??