Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Repair advice

Old 10-26-2006, 07:02 PM
2nd Gear
Default Repair advice

I have found a few problems with my new baby and am wondering if the repairs are relatively straightforward or if I should take it to a shop. I am the kind of guy who can do brakes, shocks, etc, but won't crack an engine. 98 A4 2.8Q Avant.
Rear Brakes (pads & rotors, should be easy)
LR Coil Spring
Radiator (this one concerns me the most)
And can I get the parts at, say, Checker, NAPA, etc or will I need to see the dealer? Time is a concern, as it is my daily driver, as well as space. Condo Assn. won't let me do it in the driveway. I don't have a shop manual (yet)

Old 10-26-2006, 07:24 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Repair advice

Online retailers have pretty much any part that you can't get at a parts store.

Radiator replacement isn't difficult. You just have to remove the bumper and slide the whole carrier assembly off.
Takes a while though. so you'll need a friend's driveway or garage to work in.

The bumper can be a PITA to get off if you've never done it before. Just do what the manual says. You have to pull real hard to get it off the upper clips.

You can get a good manual from Bentley. I think Haynes has a manual too. Just do a search and you'll find them.

Old 10-26-2006, 08:00 PM
2nd Gear

Agree with above.

I am just like you, I will do brakes etc but I won't crack a block. The rears brakes are easy enough. You need a tool that will push and rotate the caliper cylinders simultaneously. you can rent it at Autozone if you don't want to buy one. This is common for any car with rear disc brakes, so I actually bought the kit since I will use it in the future. Not too expensive.

I did the control arms on my car which requires pulling out the complete front strut. Its a PITA. Some of this same disassembly will be required to do your springs. Look up a control arm DIY here or on Audiworld for a full DIY with pics. That will show you whats involved. You will need a spring compressor too.

I have been avoiding messing with the radiator/cooling system. I hear that it isn't that bad, but I still haven't gotten into it.

Bentley manual is pretty good. Thats one thick book. Def get the Bentley over the Haynes.
Best place for parts is online I have found. A regular store may be able to order stuff for you.

Old 10-26-2006, 11:33 PM
3rd Gear

where are you located? (what suburb)

Old 10-26-2006, 11:36 PM
1st Gear

I have the same car and i'm looking at doing similar repairs myself. Radiator, Brakes... I'm curious to see how this goes for you!

Old 10-27-2006, 04:17 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: wood_e

where are you located? (what suburb)
St. Louis Park

Old 10-27-2006, 07:29 PM
3rd Gear

Go ot Expedition Auto works in Hopkins. They've serviced my audi befre and I was told they did good work.