Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C recharge: A DIY project hopefully?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 05:31 PM
Default A/C recharge: A DIY project hopefully?

I have a 2000 Audi which no longer blows cold air. It was somewhat weak last summer, so I think it needs a recharge. People have mentioned you need a low port on the condenser to do this yourself. Does the 2000 A4 have such a port?

I believe it was mentioned that Walmart sells cans of the 1394 for about $20. So, is this something I could do myself, and if so, is it relatively easy? Thanks....

Old 05-06-2007, 09:09 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: A/C recharge: A DIY project hopefully?

Both of the a/c ports are under cowl on the passenger's side, but if the a/c isn't blowing cold its out of refrigerant and the a/c system is a sealed system so it had to go somewhere, have someone check a leak by installing a dye or use a leak detector before trying to re-charge the system.

Old 05-06-2007, 09:10 PM

I've done it on a few cars, but never on an audi. it was easy as pie on my rx7 and my chrysler minivan, but I dunno what it would be like on an A4.

Old 05-06-2007, 10:23 PM
4th Gear

I did it on mine two years ago. The can contains R134a gas. Remove the plastic cover
in front of the windshield. On the passenger side of the battery you'll find the high and low
pressure A/C connections. Use the low pressure one only it is closer to the battery. Buy the cans from WalMart that contain R134a, lubricant and a guage.

Old 05-07-2007, 12:15 AM

OK, thanks for replies. I see the 2 ports. However, one has its cap missing. I doubt if that could be the source of a potential leak, could it? Those caps are probably akin to the valve caps on a tire, that is, they don't hold the pressure.

@crazyhawk, are you sure the one that is closer to the battery is the low pressure one? I wouldn't want to try the high one. Thanks again...

Old 05-07-2007, 12:20 AM
Site Moderator

It doesn't matter, they have different fittings, your only gonna be able to use the low side, they won't sell any civilian something to tap into the high side and have the can blow up in your hand while trying to fill the system. The low side is usually the larger fitting.

Old 05-07-2007, 01:13 AM

Great, thanks...Do you think I need the cap to it, or is it just to keep out the dust? It's definitely missing.

Also, I see some suggestions to take a vacuum pump to get all the air out of the system. Do you think that's necessary, and where would I connect the vacuum to suck out the air?

Old 05-07-2007, 02:10 AM
1st Gear

Auditech79, I think you got that backwards there. The high side port is the larger one in diameter.

Good Luck...

Old 05-07-2007, 03:22 PM
4th Gear

The low pressure port has the smaller connector and the larger diameter pipe for gas.
The high pressure port has the larger connector and the small diameter pipe for liquid R134a.
The can can only connect to the low pressure side, which is colder.

Old 05-07-2007, 07:02 PM
1st Gear

sure, refilling it you can do yourself, but if your refridgerant is gone it means there's a hole somewhere in the system, and you're just gonna hafta do it again. I think you can buy testing dye for the system, so give that a shot and see if its just a loose hose clamp or something. if its a hole in a pipe somewhere I'd pay someone to do it....unless you like refilling your a/c every month....

Quick Reply: A/C recharge: A DIY project hopefully?