Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CAM CHAIN TENSIONER TESTING

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 07:40 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: CAM CHAIN TENSIONER TESTING

ORIGINAL: techmike99

LampyB, your right the car did just need a cam chain tensioner in the end. But just puttingone in would have been an expensiveguess. It could have been a low oil pressure problem also. So before dropping a grand on parts and labor I wanted to make sure I had the problem figured out. Most customers don't like for me to guess at what will fix their cars. You also have to understand that I had not seen this problem before on anAudi. So you have to kind of use Audi's diagnostic tree to guide you. If you read Audi's take on this they do everything but replace the cam chain tensioner. So that is why forums like this help so much. You can talk to a lot of Audi owners that may had the same problem.
That is correct, the chain tensioner is not a cheap fix. It appears to be a $400 part and the oil pump/pickup is labor intensive. Having to pull the bumper, put the car in its service position, drop the subframe then pull the pan. This is a double edged sword. I would rather take the time and get the diagnosis correct. And techmike99 thank you for your details, If anyone else can contribute with this type of experience I would really appreciate it.

Old 10-05-2007, 07:45 AM

only thing I can think of is if the cam chain was weak/stretched it would throw the timing out and that would leave a fault code but the pickup pipe is known to have this problem for getting blocked and im surprised it isn't a recall issue

Old 10-05-2007, 12:35 PM
Site Moderator

IF i remember the manual correctly the manual says the oil pressure should be at LEAST 1.0 bar of pressure, that doesn't mean if your right over 1.0 bar that its good. Generally 1.8T engines have 3-4 bar at idle when the oil pick up tube isn't clogged.
Look, i'll make it really simple for you, you have two choices.
A) Replace the cam chain tensioner and hope it fixes it, and could be a costly mistake.
B) Repace the oil pick up tube ONLY, and if it doesn't fix it you just performed very good perventative maintance on the 1.8T engine.
To me its kind of a no brainer.

Old 10-05-2007, 12:41 PM

wow big words there mate but my brain is about to go to sleep because I was up all night so im a no brainier at the moment[:-]

Old 10-05-2007, 12:55 PM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: avant80@2.6

wow big words there mate but my brain is about to go to sleep because I was up all night so im a no brainier at the moment[:-]
Forgot your about a 14 hour plane ride away LOL.

Old 10-05-2007, 02:23 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: auditech79

IF i remember the manual correctly the manual says the oil pressure should be at LEAST 1.0 bar of pressure, that doesn't mean if your right over 1.0 bar that its good. Generally 1.8T engines have 3-4 bar at idle when the oil pick up tube isn't clogged.
Look, i'll make it really simple for you, you have two choices.
A) Replace the cam chain tensioner and hope it fixes it, and could be a costly mistake.
B) Repace the oil pick up tube ONLY, and if it doesn't fix it you just performed very good perventative maintance on the 1.8T engine.
To me its kind of a no brainer.
so you are saying if I change the pickup tube and pump I should be in the 2-4 bar range? This is normal. I won't be disappointed and upset after pulling the pan off. If I will see a jump from 1 bar to 2 or even 3 bar I will do the pump pickup in the morning.

Old 10-05-2007, 02:26 PM
Site Moderator

You won't even have to check the pressure probably, the tensioner should quiet up within 10 miles of driving. But yes you should see at the very minimum 2 bar at idle when the engine is cold IMHO.

Old 10-05-2007, 02:26 PM
1st Gear

Given the car is still under sludge warrenty. Would this pressure problem fall under the warrenty??

Old 10-05-2007, 02:30 PM
Site Moderator

Read my post "facts about oil sludge"
All 1.8T engines are covered under warranty regardless of mileage for sludge repairs as long as you can show proof of oil change receipts.
If there is enough damage to the engine they will replace the engine for free, even if it has 250,000 miles on it.

Old 10-05-2007, 02:35 PM
Site Moderator

Oh BTW i recommend running some seafoam through the crankcase for about 50 miles before dropping the pan, that should ensure you get all kinds of crap out of your oil and PCV system. [8D]

Quick Reply: CAM CHAIN TENSIONER TESTING