Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't get new Sirius radio to work

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2006, 08:33 PM
1st Gear
Default Can't get new Sirius radio to work

Had a Sirius radio fitted at the dealer; it's activated and Sirius says everything is OK. Yet when I pust the SAT button the radio says there's no satellite radio connected. Any ideas before I take the car back to the dealer?

Old 12-16-2006, 08:45 PM
Default RE: Can't get new Sirius radio to work

Enabling the satellite radio -R146-

When the satellite radio -R146- is first put into operation or is renewed, it must be enabled/activated by the provider (XM or Sirius).

The subscription and application for activation can coincide if the callcenter of the provider has already received all the required details (US postal address, credit card no., radio ID (XM) or SID (Sirius).

Only applies to Sirius:

Within the first hour after activation has been applied for Sirius will transmit the activation sequence 6 times. If activation is not successful within this time limit the Sirius callcenter must be applied to once more in order to re-transmit the activation sequence.

Requirements:

t
Customer has a subscription to XM or Sirius

t
Satellite radio -R146- is installed and connected

t
Radio -R- has been adapted/encoded accordingly

t
Ignition is switched on

Procedure

–
Switch on the radio -R- and select the reception range for the satellite radio -R146-.

–
Try to receive “free-to-air” channels on the XM (e.g. Channel1) or Sirius band (only Channel184).

–
If necessary drive to a different location.

If the “free-to-air” channels have a good reception quality, you will also be able to receive the activation information sent by the provider (XM or Sirius) without difficulty.

Bad reception, however, may prevent you from receiving the activation signals sent by the provider. In this case, please drive to a different location (the activation signals can be received while the vehicle is moving). Avoid e.g. factory buildings, parking garages, filling stations with big roof surfaces and all other locations which could cause impaired reception.

In built-up areas with terrestrial broadcasting coverage (so-called terrestrial repeaters) and in urban areas it may be possible to carry out activation via a repeater instead of via satellite

Old 12-16-2006, 09:21 PM
1st Gear

Dave, thanks. I have to assume that it was installed correctly.
I was on the phone to Sirius, had the ignition on and was pushing the SAT button while they were sending me signals - no luck.
They asked that I go to channel 184 but the problem is that when I push the SAT button, it just gives an error message and bounces back to FM - I can't actually tune any stations.
According to Sirius, everything is OK so they say the problem is on the radio end...

Kevin

Old 12-16-2006, 09:31 PM

you need to drive around till you get a good reception the signal they are sending is being blocked by buildings

Old 04-25-2011, 09:06 AM
1st Gear

Were you able to determine the problem? I am having the same issue and the dealership doesn't seem to know what is going on.