Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is a CPO warranty worth it? (for a 2009 A4)

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 01:30 AM
1st Gear
Default Is a CPO warranty worth it? (for a 2009 A4)

I'm in the market for a used (probably 2009) A4, and I'm trying to decide between the three options:

1. Non-certified
2. Certified, without the warranty (depending on the dealer, this can save me between $800-$1500)
3. Certified, with the warranty.

I'm debating between options 2 and 3. I feel like if they've certified it and am expecting to sell the car with the warranty, then they're probably expecting nothing too terrible to happen to the car, so I can probably save a good deal of money by getting a CPO car without the CPO warranty.

On another note, has anyone noticed that a lot of dealers have apparently premium plus CPO cars but simply list them on their website as being "premium?". Often the audiusa link to the car will say "prem plus", but the dealer's website will only list the car as "premium", and sometimes they might mention in the notes that it's got the premium plus package. I'm just a sucker for the LED headlights.

Old 01-16-2012, 12:25 PM
1st Gear

Not sure about the 'premium plus' part, but last year i bought my 2008 A4 as CPO.

The original warranty ran out in Oct 2011, but if i remember correctly the CPO adds 2 more years. The previous owner purchased audi-care, so that transfers to the new owner (me). Not sure if the same applies for non-CPO, but it may. Buying non-CPO may save you $1000-1500, but i'd rather have the CPO warranty. In addition, coil packs were replaced, and brakes/rotors were replaced by the dealership to get it back up to specs before they even put it on sale as CPO.

Only down-side is that there's a (roughly) $80 deductable if i have to bring it in for anything other than scheduled maintenance, but so far so good. If i had to do it over again, i'd go the same route.

Old 01-16-2012, 01:38 PM
1st Gear

Are you saying the CPO warranty covers scheduled maintenance?

It says pretty specifically on http://microsites.audiusa.com/my09/p...d_Warranty.pdf

that it doesn't.

Old 01-16-2012, 02:25 PM
1st Gear

The PDF states "Cost of maintenance services" is not included. However if the original owner purchased audi-care, that covers the oil/fluid changes, and does transfer to the new owner.

From the PDF fine print:
If there is remaining coverage from Audi Advantage at the time of Certified pre-owned purchase, the Audi Certified pre-owned vehicle may benefit from the remainder of the No-Charge Scheduled Maintenance.

edit: I should mention that the oil changes covered are only 5, 15, 25, 35, 45k miles, and there's a lot of things they check for but *not* covered if they need to be replaced. So yeah, audi-care is kind of a glorified oil-change service that dealers use to possibly find things to charge you for.

Last edited by irussel; 01-16-2012 at 04:07 PM.