Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Common problems with A4 1.8T avant

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 09:59 PM
1st Gear
Default Common problems with A4 1.8T avant

I am currently looking at a 2003 A4 1.8T avant to replace a Mazda 3 hatchback. I tried to go with an economy car for a little while (basically the first one I ever owned I never considered my VR6's eco cars) and I just dont like it. Apart from the fact it gets worse gas mileage then my BMW it just doesnt have that German feeling that I love so much. I end up finding myself driving it only when necessary for the DD chores and sometimes even not then.

Anyway back to the real reason for the thread. I need spaceof a wagon/hatch for skiing, bikes etc, i was thinking about a new A3 but with all the options I want they get a little pricey especially since I need to pay it off soon before the BMW gets replaced with my new toy.

I considered a 325ix Touring but for the DD I need an automatic, and the tourings in automatic and awd are just to slow.

So I started looking at the A4 1.8T and the C320 wagon I dont really like the interior or the MB at all and its exterior isnt that great.

That leaves me with the A4 1.8T, so far it has everything I need, style, great interior, quattro and with a chip the auto will be quite quick.

I was looking at mostly 03's and a few 04's but since I basically want to make an even swap with the Mazda it looks like an 03 is my best bet.

Are there any common problems or things I should look for when getting an 03 avant? I already uncovered the fuel pump thing with a search but other then that what do I look for?

Thanks!

Old 03-14-2007, 02:27 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Common problems with A4 1.8T avant

Anyone?

Old 03-14-2007, 02:54 AM
Site Moderator

Ya know the only thing im gonna say is if your gonna take the car up to high elevations for skiing and what not its better to have a turbo charged engine over a bmw or mercedes.
There isn't a lot of common problems with the 1.8T besides engine sludge it you don't change the oil frequently.

Old 03-14-2007, 05:23 PM
Site Moderator

A couple common problems with the avant...

The rear window wiper: sometimes it tends to get flakey. Stops motion before it is through the full range of the wipe, keeps wiping a while even after you have stopped it. There is a DIY fix for this on Audiworld. It's the switch contact not behaving as it should. I have this problem but haven't fixed it yet.

The hatch shocks: They tend to blow their seals after a few years and won't keep the hatch up. I just replaced mine for $25 bucks each (best to do both at once). Got them at PureMS.com.

Other than that - no major unique problems with the avants.

Old 03-14-2007, 07:06 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: brrman

A couple common problems with the avant...

The rear window wiper: sometimes it tends to get flakey. Stops motion before it is through the full range of the wipe, keeps wiping a while even after you have stopped it. There is a DIY fix for this on Audiworld. It's the switch contact not behaving as it should. I have this problem but haven't fixed it yet.

The hatch shocks: They tend to blow their seals after a few years and won't keep the hatch up. I just replaced mine for $25 bucks each (best to do both at once). Got them at PureMS.com.

Other than that - no major unique problems with the avants.
Thanks!

I do have one other question I see your avant is chipped do you have a manual or auto? If an auto is there software for the trans? I heard that if you chip the engine on an auto the trans gets confused at times.

Old 03-15-2007, 05:41 PM
Site Moderator

Mine is an auto.

With regards to the tranny software: there is a "tip chip" which shortens shift times, but I think what you are referring to is the gear-hunting that happens when running 3500-4000 rpm in 5th gear.

The car sometimes decides to move to 4th, then back to 5th. The tip chip will not cure this. So far no one has found a way to curtail this problem except to recode the tranny with the VAG to the old style shifting - but this did not work for me. I only get it when I am moving at 85+ in 5th gear and try to accelerate quickly.

Old 03-15-2007, 06:22 PM
4th Gear

Use synthetic engine oil to prevent sludge.

Old 03-17-2007, 03:53 PM
1st Gear

Thanks! Guys that helps

Old 03-18-2007, 02:42 AM
1st Gear

I haven't had any problems with mine save for wear and tear--no sludge problems, thankfully. Had coil pack, valve gasket, mass air flow meter replaced, but most did myself and those are the only things that have been done. So, had great luck with it. Hope you will, too...it's a great car.

Old 01-17-2012, 06:23 PM
1st Gear

hey Staszek, I know this is really old but it would be great to know how your experience went with the 03 Avant? hope you dont regret it...

I am looking for the same one now as a reliable winter car and for some hwy trips and really don't want to get into big mechanical troubles especially if the wife is driving it at that bad moment..

I maintained all my current/previous cars(mostly Benz in the last 5 years) way beyond dealer expectations so I do not mind spending some $$ at first for preventative maintenance and what would you recommend for such things?

Thanks in advance for your help!