Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

detecting altered odometer

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 02:29 AM
1st Gear
Default detecting altered odometer

I have searched for "odometer correction" and "mileage roll-back" and a few other terms and haven't exactly found the answer to this question.

I am starting to look for a b5 or b6 a4 with less-than 120,000 miles. My understanding is that pre-2004, the odometer reading is easily "corrected" (falsified) with the appropriate tool, even just a VAG-COM or similar though there are numerous devices on ebay seemingly with the express purpose of roll-back.

Is there any way to detect these alterations? For example, if I had the appropriate scanner, could I see the date or number of hours since, (or even just whether) the odometer was reset/ installed? OR, are there other hints, such as # of hours driven * average speed that might betray an ODO alteration?

If not, what about physical tells that the ODO is lying? I imagine it is a lot easier to tell when a 80kmi car is rolled back to 20kmi than it is to tell a 180kmi car from a 90kmi car, as there would be so much variability in the seat wear, etc at that point. For that matter, I guess if I was going to make such a lie, I would replace the driver's seat too.

Of course there is carfax and ideally service records. But say I came across something very tempting with no records and an unilluminating carfax report. What could I do to corroborate the ODO? Does carfax get ODO readings every time the car is inspected or just at registration?