Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driver side power window switch replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 03:09 PM
1st Gear
Default Driver side power window switch replacement

I have an 04 A4 and the drivers window has stopped working. I took it in to our local Audi dealer and they said just the switch needs to be replaced and not the motor or regulator. Does anyone have and threads or instructions for me on how to replace this? I am a do it yourselfer and would appreciate all the help! Thanks

Old 06-04-2012, 05:29 PM
1st Gear

Check this video out. it shows how to replace the regulator but the steps are the same if you are going to replace your switch. You can watch how to take of the door panel and from there you can get to the switch and replacing it. Hope it helps.

Old 06-04-2012, 05:30 PM
1st Gear
Old 06-05-2012, 07:53 AM
1st Gear

Thanks a ton rayman!

Old 06-10-2012, 07:38 PM
1st Gear

Man I love stumbling onto DIY videos that are really well done. My regulator went bad and this video was so damn helpful.

Heres some pics of my bad regulator:
Name:  IMAG0449.jpg
Views: 9862
Size:  188.3 KB
Name:  IMAG0450.jpg
Views: 9656
Size:  344.9 KB

Bought my replacement assembly from ECS Tuning and saved an *** load of money buying the cheapest one on there (I compared the two as I disassembled and they were identical in build quality).

Old 06-11-2012, 08:42 AM
1st Gear

Hey Jago,
I need to replace my regulator on my A4 05. I am looking on the ECS website and there are some regulators for as low as $59.95 and some are $143.72. You are saying that the cheapest one is working for you? What would be the difference between the prices I wonder?

Old 06-13-2012, 11:40 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by rayman
Hey Jago,
I need to replace my regulator on my A4 05. I am looking on the ECS website and there are some regulators for as low as $59.95 and some are $143.72. You are saying that the cheapest one is working for you? What would be the difference between the prices I wonder?
I bought the $46.89 front left regulator from Üro. When I took the broken regulator out of the door I set the new one right on top of it and compared everything (I was worried that I had cheaped out and screwed myself). The ONLY thing that was different was the coloring on the orange/grey plastic guides that the glass bolts onto, they were reverse from OEM. Initially I thought damn I bought the wrong side but everything matched. Build quality was identical and sure enough, once I got it in the door everything worked like a charm (auto roll up/down and everything).

Yeah I'm guessing the price difference is branding markup and OEM Audi pricing.

Old 06-14-2012, 12:41 PM
1st Gear

Thanks a lot this is very helpful. One last question. Did you break off some of the clips on the door panel and where did you buy replacement clips?

Old 06-15-2012, 05:32 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by rayman
Thanks a lot this is very helpful. One last question. Did you break off some of the clips on the door panel and where did you buy replacement clips?
I believe I saw two different kinds of clips; small white ones and bigger black ones. I was initially only aware of the bigger black ones which I bought 5 replacements from ECS Tuning in case I had broken any. I ended up not having to replace any of the black ones but I'm pretty sure I snapped some of the white ones. The door still went together pretty strong.

The more I think of it tho, I'm not actually sure if there are white clips... I just don't remember well enough lol. In any case, the black ones definitely do the work and they were $1.00 a piece on ECS Tuning.

Hope that helps!

-Jago

Old 06-17-2012, 02:57 AM
1st Gear

Ok, so maybe I spoke too soon about the cheap window regulators. Jumped in my car and went to the gas station quick and rolled my window down/up no problem. Nothing out of the ordinary. Come back from the gas station and I hear the familiar grind of my window regulator and sure enough the window is fucked again. My guess right now is something more is wrong. Something else is causing my window regulators to get all messed up.

I'm gonna tear apart my door again tomorrow and have a close look at things.

-Jago

Quick Reply: Driver side power window switch replacement