Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

engine mount/motor mount problems please help

Old 01-22-2008, 08:02 PM
1st Gear
Default engine mount/motor mount problems please help

ive been hearing a very load clunking noise in the front end of the car and i came to relize after my friend have taken my car pulled the E brake up and let the clutch out. The engine jumps about 4 inches and only in the front part of the motor. i am going to order parts for the car and do it myself can someone help me indicate which part to replace and how sould i do it..thanks

Old 01-22-2008, 08:10 PM
Administrator
Default RE: engine mount/motor mount problems please help

Please go to your profile page and create at least a basic signature with your car's information (year, model, engine, trans, etc) - it'll help a lot with diagnosing future problems and getting answers to your question. For this post, I'd venture a guess at the snub mount, although I haven't had the problem in my car and I'm not positive. If that's the problem, check into an upgraded one from one of the forum sponsors. The snub mount is down low at the front of the engine, kind of behind the radiator. Upgrading it helps to give more positive shifting as it helps control drivetrain motion.

Old 01-22-2008, 08:18 PM
1st Gear

Old 01-22-2008, 08:20 PM
1st Gear

well the motor hops up 4 inches id fig it would be a rubber bushing that had abused with bad driving because this car was owned by a 22 girl who barely drove stick and the car has about 150,000 miles on it

Old 01-22-2008, 08:22 PM
Administrator

Almost perfect - there are two 2.8L engines that came in the car, the 12v and the 30v. That will make a difference in troubleshooting. The 30v engine has a "5v" (for 5 valves per cylinder) on the beauty covers on the engine. Putting the engine and year of the car in will help a lot in the future.

As for the problem you were posting about, check out www.ecstuning.com, www.034motorsports.com, and some of the other sponsors in the Vendors link above at the top of the page. I'm thinking the snub mount is what you may need, but hopefully some of the others will jump in and either confirm or correct me on this.

Old 01-22-2008, 08:24 PM
Administrator

Gotcha. It's likely a mount of some type, and the snub is intended to control drivetrain motion. I'd put my money on that. And I posted just below this, before I saw the amended sig you put in, including the year. That's the 12v motor for reference later on

Old 01-22-2008, 08:27 PM
3rd Gear

Almost perfect - there are two 2.8L engines that came in the car, the 12v and the 30v. That will make a difference in troubleshooting. The 30v engine has a "5v" (for 5 valves per cylinder) on the beauty covers on the engine. Putting the engine and year of the car in will help a lot in the future.
Wasnt there only a 12v in 96?

Id have to agree with the snub mount diagnosis. If you look at it the rubbers probably all cracked if its even still there. The snub mount goes off the front of the engine into the radiator carriar.

Old 01-22-2008, 08:29 PM
Administrator

Yeah, 12v was the only one available then, but when I posted that, he hadn't yet added the "1996" to the sig, only the rest of it. That's why I added that in there about the engines.

Old 01-22-2008, 08:50 PM
1st Gear

thank you guys you have been very helpful but i mean i had ataully talked to the person that worked on my car today he was the one that ataully got in mny car and showed me how the enginge jumps up and he said it was the motor mount what is the differnce and why woudlnt it be that part to bereplaced

Old 01-22-2008, 08:58 PM
3rd Gear

Your car has three motor mounts. A left, right, and front or snub mount. It may just be a difference in terminology.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: engine mount/motor mount problems please help