Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Halo Projector headlights killing battery in about 4 hours ...why?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 02:15 AM
1st Gear
Default Halo Projector headlights killing battery in about 4 hours ...why?

Hey everybody . I am new to this forum . My car is a 96 A4 2.8 12v quattro and I am having issues with wiring my new headlights . The headlights themselves are a direct plug up and work great ...but it's the turn signal or either the led halos that are running my battery dead ! This is a link to the exact set I bought http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...;rd=1&rd=1
There are 3 sets of positive(red) and negative(black) wires coming from each headlight . Two sets run the two halo leds and the other set runs a little led light between them ...I have these all twisted together so that when the running lights are on the halos come on .
Now ..these leds are all attached to the turn signal plug coming in because on my car has a 3 prong turn signal plug because there are running lights built into the stock turn signals ...So everything should work correctly ! Everything works perfectly just like I want ....but it eats the battery just sitting there ! I can't figure this one out !
If anybody has any ideas or suggestions please let me know . A wiring diagram would be really handy right now but I don't have the Bentley manual cause it's so freakin expensive but i'm seriously thinking about breaking down and getting one as much as I hate to !

Old 02-26-2007, 02:11 AM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Halo Projector headlights killing battery in about 4 hours ...why?

turn your car off and use a volt finder to figure what is drawing the power.

Old 02-26-2007, 03:27 AM
1st Gear

I rewired the headlights and completely unhooked the led halos .....and no more power drain ! I had them wired wrong into the turn signal plug i guess . I still don't understand what is happening and why it will not work...but there is one ground wire and one switched 12v wire that powers the stock running lights ......as well as the intermitent 12volt that powers the turn signal . This is what I gathered at least !
I had the led halos wired to the ground and the switched 12v so they would just act like regular running lights ......but it was draining the battery ! It's something weird ......because when the running lights are switched on (with turn signal off)...both the turn signal wire and ground wire act like ground . I have a digital multimeter for testing this stuff and I am good with electronics ....but I don't quite understand this curcuit they have !

Old 02-26-2007, 03:34 AM
1st Gear

No offense to you, but I cant see that being quality product for 100 bucks, considering out oem zenons are like 300 a piece. Hopefully, they dont damage your car in any other way electrically.

Why not just get a used set of zenons and make them Halos?

Old 02-26-2007, 03:48 AM
1st Gear

keep us updated, got those same lights sitting at home waiting for me to come home this weekend and install them. Hopefully i wont run into any problems. def not great with electronics, but will get a multimeter and check things out. Possibly post a DIY

Old 02-26-2007, 04:10 AM
1st Gear

mine are so powerful when i turn them on the factory headunit goes into safe mode.. but my lights were $1,300