Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heater blower doesn't turn when temp under 25 deg

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 06:27 PM
1st Gear
Default Heater blower doesn't turn when temp under 25 deg

I've read through some posts regarding heater and/or blower problems, but it doesn't seem like any detail the same problem I'm having.

Whenever the outside temperature is under about 25 deg F, my 2002 A4 1.8T will not blow any air out of the vents. The digital display will show air on full blast, but nothing comes out. Nothing changes even after I drive the car and warm it up for a while. Sometimes the air will start to come out after being in the car for 30 minutes or so, usually after the car has been driven in the sun for a while.

Does anyone have any suggestions on fixing this issue? It tends to be quite dangerous (as I found out this morning) when no air blows on a frosty and foggy window.

Old 12-20-2006, 06:43 PM
Default RE: Heater blower doesn't turn when temp under 25 deg

Hi there, I have a similar problem with my 2001 A4 tdi. When the temperature is below about 7 degrees celsius or above 20 the fast blower doesnt work. I had it diagnosed and it pointed to the internal fan which can be found behind the glove box. I must confess I havent got round to fixing it yet - I thought I would see if anyone else had the same problem first and see what they did. If you are going to buy one, get a reconditioned second hand one, much cheaper - about 80 pounds sterling.
cheers
funkzig

Old 12-20-2006, 06:52 PM

normally only high speed works that means the resistor, Ive covered it before so check my posts

Old 12-20-2006, 06:59 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: avant80@2.6

normally only high speed works that means the resistor, Ive covered it before so check my posts
My problem is that no air comes out whatsoever.

Old 12-20-2006, 09:33 PM
2nd Gear

Starting your post I thought you were talking about how the heat doesn't come on until the car warms up. On cool mornings, I set my temps to 76F. The air won't start blowing right away like on a regualar car. The audi seems to wait until the coolant reaches a minimum temperature before it turns the blower on. So my car will sit at one bar until the coolant starts flowing, and then it ramps up the blower speed and comes out nice and hot. But this only takes a few minutes of driving until the engine reaches temperatrue. This happens at any cool temperature though.

You said your display shows the blower at full blast (digital vertical bar all the way to the top) but there is no air movement, which is different. It almost sounds like a vent being stuck until the cars warms it up and lets it move again after the lubricant becomes more fluid. Kinda iffy. Could be a vent problem (my brothers car just had something similar).

My suggestions:
Take note of how long it takes the car to fully warm up. It should be maybe 5 minutes of driving time (not sitting idle in your driveway) before the car reaches full temperature (needle straight up in the middle of H and C). If it is taking a lot longer, possibly thermostat stuck open causing engine temps to stay low, causing heater blower to stay off for longer waiting for car to warm up.

If the car warms up within 5 mins, do you hear the blower running once the car is up to temperature? If the car is warmed up and you hear the blower running but don't feel air, its probably a vent issue of some sort. If the blower isn't running at all after car is warmed up then its something else. Maybe blower or something electronic.

Oh and I did read your message right that the heat does work but that this is only a problem when it is very cold out. So at warmer cool temps like 50F, you do get some heat.

Old 12-22-2006, 02:56 AM
1st Gear

The car warms up just fine and the temp gauge reads normal. The seat warmers work, so I don't completely freeze. The blower just does not seem to even run. I can't hear it at all. If I listen carefully while I change the vents from windshield to head to foot, it seems as though something is moving mechanically. It just never turns on the blower, even if I turn it off and on.

And yes, when the temp is above about 25 deg F, the heat works perfectly with no issue. Sometimes too well actually. But that's a whole different story.

Old 12-22-2006, 01:09 PM

I have an '03 A4 TDI q, which does exactly the same thing.

Below about 2 degrees celcius - no blower fan. Even when I hit the screen demist button, the fan bar graph goes all the way to the top, but no fan - no sound or air from it.
It takes about 20 minutes driving to sufficiently warm the interior of the car (through convection alone) for the fan to start working.

It seems as though maybe the bearing is seizing when it's cold, or there is a bad connection the the motor - but only when cold? Or there is water in the fan or motor which freezes and jams the blower.
Vag-com lists 3 faults for the climate control:-
00710, 01842 & 01273 I don't know what these are, or if they are of any help with diagnosing the fault.

Does anyone know where the blower motor is, and how to reach it?

Old 12-22-2006, 07:19 PM
1st Gear

I believe the blower motor is in the general vicinity of the glovebox. I've listened when the blower actually does work and it seems to be right around there.

If someone can please let jimh and I know what those faults - 00710, 01842 & 01273 - might be from, I'd appreciate it. Any suggestions on getting rid of this problem would also be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-11-2007, 12:33 AM
1st Gear

So is there anyone out there who might be able to help me out with this problem? The thread died down before I was able to receive any good info that could solve my annoying problem... If anyone has any more ideas, please throw them out there! Thanks