Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heater not hot. 1.8t cooling system disobeying the laws of physics.

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 02:37 PM
1st Gear
Default Heater not hot. 1.8t cooling system disobeying the laws of physics.

As usual, the heater isn't blowing warm air. The engine was just replaced so I figure that they didn't bleed the heater core. I go to bleed it and it won't bleed.The engine was fully warmed up. I detached the coolant tank and raised it higher than the heater core and pulled the heater hose off enough to allow air out of the small hole in the hose. Nothing came out. So, I pull the heater hose all the way off. Coolant barely came dripping out! Now, the laws of physics say that as hot as the engine was, that coolant should be spraying out of there.

Why does it do that? I had this problem before the engine was replaced as well.

Old 12-20-2006, 03:13 PM
Default RE: Heater not hot. 1.8t cooling system disobeying the laws of physics.

I would guess something is clogged. Either that or david blane is messing with you.

Old 12-20-2006, 03:15 PM
1st Gear

But, if it was just plugged, the water coming out would still seem to be under some amount of pressure or at least steaming hot.

Old 12-20-2006, 03:19 PM

your not bleeding it right there is a bleed nipple on one of the heater hoses under the hood

Old 12-20-2006, 03:24 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: thebishop

I would guess something is clogged. Either that or david blane is messing with you.
If it was cloged it would over heat.......ie a thermostat that is stuck shut. He must have air in the system some how???

Old 12-20-2006, 03:31 PM
1st Gear

I am bleeding it at the heater hose nipple. There is very little pressure there. Is there somewhere in the block to bleed it? BTW, this engine was just replaced and the other engine had the same problem. Is there a valve that regulates the amount of water that enters the heater core from the engine?

Old 12-20-2006, 03:37 PM

remove the cap and the nipple then fill till it comes out of the nipple without engine running ensure all the air is out ( heater must be set to hot so matrix valve is open ), when the coolant flows freely with no bubbles then replace the cap and bleed nipple then run the engine up to temp and keep it at 2k rpm till heat comes out of the vents if its still only warm then bleed from the nipple only till it gets hot.

edit: missed a couple of Ns out there

Old 12-20-2006, 03:38 PM

A clogged hose would prevent coolant from enter the heater core. the system wo'nt overheat because it can still utilize the radiator.

Old 12-20-2006, 04:14 PM

On my car the heater core was doing the same thing, so I hacked off the end of a garden hose, put it in place of the inlet heater hose, and turned it on, what proceeded to follow was a brown sludge-like crud that came out the other end, slowly at first, then you could see when it broke free and started flowing freely, once the water was flowing through it freely, and clean, I reinstalled the heater hoses, bled according to instruction (through the nipple), and now it heats the car up like a *****, after the engine gets warm that is (about 15 degrees here the last few mornings). I'd suggest trying this method, it may help you, and if not, you know your heater core isn't clogged.

The clig (from what I can figure out) comes from people mixing the wrong kind of coolant in with the G-12 thats in our cars, it creates a gummy substance and clogs the heatercore, and I honestly think its what took out my water pump. Its all solved now, and I know to only use g-12 so I'll be good to go for a while!

Old 12-20-2006, 04:15 PM
1st Gear

Avant, As explained in the opening post, I did that. Except, no air or water came out of the bleed hole. That says there was no pressure. Now, I suppose that if the core is partially blocked, there wouldn't be pressure on that side. I back flushed it pretty well last year. Maybe I'll do that again. My son overheated the old engine a few months ago. (Hence, the replaced engine)Maybe there is more gunk in the heater core due to the overheating.

Quick Reply: Heater not hot. 1.8t cooling system disobeying the laws of physics.