Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!!! A4 cranks but will not start

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2003, 01:41 AM
Default HELP!!! A4 cranks but will not start

I have a'97 a4 4-cyl turbo. A couple days ago, i was trying out the turbo and the oil pressure light went on. I pulled over, turned off the engine and started it back up and the light was gone. I added a quart of oil when i got home since the level was a little low. Then today, I was headed up a ramp to enter the expressway and the light comes on again along with the check engine light.Then, I couldn't go anyfaster than 35 mph. I drove home (with the hazards flashing) and I gave the engine a good check. Itested the compression from all 4 cylinders and there was a littlevariance (about 10%) and I replaced all the spark plugs. Then I go to start it and all it does now is crank. I can't get it to turn over and start. The check engine light and the oil pressure light along with the temp light are all on. I can't figure it out. Anyone ever have this problem before???

Old 03-06-2003, 04:22 PM
1st Gear

im no mechanic...but i suggest taking your car to a mechanic, that sounds pretty serious...before you f**k anything up and work on sh*t that doesnt need to be done....

Old 03-07-2003, 01:19 AM
Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Old 03-07-2003, 09:11 AM
1st Gear

try turning the on position and let it sit (not running) 15 min. this happen to my S4 turned out the chipped ecu was bad. btw you said engine oil and temp lights were on your epc light sould be on as well. hope this helps. </P>

P.S what your doing w/ key is a tba throttle adapt.</P>

later Eric</P>

Old 05-22-2003, 06:49 PM
Site Moderator

Do you have access to a VAG COM? I had this problem just recently and it turned out to be a bad Coolant Temp Sensor. Replaced it for 25 bucks and the car started right up with no problems. When it was bad I had to crank the thing like 20-30 times before it would start because it was flooding (the sensor was malfunctioning and telling the ECU that it was very cold out and so the it was injecting too much gas into the combustion chamber before start).</P>

However I had no Oil Pressure warning light come on. If your Check Engine Light is blinking, have the car flatbedded to a shop.</P>

You probably have solved this problem by now, so I'm just posting this for posterity's sake.</P>

Old 09-18-2006, 03:32 AM
Default RE: HELP!!! A4 cranks but will not start

I have a problem that is a bit similar. My wife has a '98 A4 1.8TQ A/T. On most days it starts just fine. Every few days, after driving somewhere, making a quick stop, and then going to leave, it won't start. It will crank and crank and crank and usually after about a half hour, trying every five minutes or so, it will start. I originally suspected an ignition problem, because there is plenty of fuel getting to the engine (it stinks!). Once it starts, it has a very short rough idle (only a few seconds), and then it drives just fine. It seemed like it happens alot more on hot days, but it happened again today, and it was only about 60 degrees out. Also, it happens primarily when the engine is still warm. I have replaced the Ignition Control Module, the spark plug boots on the coils (recommended at the same time, so I'm told). I also replaced the Fuel Pressure Regulator. It seems to perform better, but we still have the starting problem about once a week. Without having access to a VAGCOM, based off of what I have been reading, I am leaning towards O2 sensors or the coolant sensor. The only light that comes on is the service engine light. Any other ideas? Thanks for any help you can give!

Old 09-18-2006, 03:41 AM
18T
4th Gear

both of you need to get it scanned.

Old 09-18-2006, 10:14 AM
4th Gear

Dear Newbie, Welcome to the forum

You are to be commended in using the search function. However, the idea is not to hijack a 3 year old thread. Please post your question as a new thread, so you will get answers to your problem, not the one posted in March 2003.

Without a vagcom, you are going to continue to repalce parts forever. Get it scanned for codes.

You say that your engine smells of fuel. It shouldn't. You are either running very rich or are leaking fuel. A leak in the fuel system, or the evaporative vapor recirculation system could cause similar problems.

Have it scanned for codes with a vagcom, or purchace a cheap OBDII reader and post the codes here. You can use the vagcom locator in the helpful links section to try to find one near you. The price of borrowing one is usually beer.

Old 09-18-2006, 02:31 PM
Site Moderator/Ninja

u can also get it scanned at a autozone for free -
through OBD II - if it smells like fuel you might be flooding the engine
as you turn the car over...

I had a similar problem & it was the engine coolant temp sensor - easy fix...
but w/ out any codes its just speculation.
- good luck

Old 09-18-2006, 11:18 PM

Thanks for your help. The only reason I added to this post was because the problem seemed similar. I know the only reason for the fuel smell is from turning the key. That part is obvious when your sitting in the car. What doesn't make alot of sense to me is that considering how often it is driven, it hardly ever happens. We can drive five times in one day and it will be fine, and then the next day It won't start after our first trip. When this happened to you, how often did you see the problem? Was it intermittent? The ECU has been scanned in the past, and it comes up with a code involving an air/fuel issue... unfortunately I do not remember which code it was pulling. I'll have to get it read again tomorrow. I have also checked for vacuum leaks, and we did have to replace one bend in one of the lines. As much as I love driving this car, the $3500 we have put into it in the last six months is starting to sour me... What I do find funny, and I'm no exception, is that Audi owners will put tons of money just into fixing their car, and then when it is time to get rid of it, turn around and buy another one. It's hard to find a car with that loyal of a following!

Quick Reply: HELP!!! A4 cranks but will not start