Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Homelink Q

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2005, 06:12 PM
1st Gear
Default Homelink Q

I have just a small issue with my car that I havent really payed attention to until lately, but is there a reason my homelink panel on the sunvisor does not work? Even with the car on, I press a button and the light will not flash or give any sign of being connected. I know that you are supposed to program it by pressing and holding the first and third buttons, but it seems the unit is not getting any power.

Is this a common problem? Is there a way I can take the homelink cover off to see if there is a problem with the wires? Untill now I have just been using my big ugly provided door opener, but if there is a way that I can fix the one on the sun visor I would glady try it.

Thanks very much.

Old 11-23-2005, 06:18 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Homelink Q

Yeah I have never been able to get mine to work.

Old 11-23-2005, 08:02 PM
3rd Gear

Remove the whole sunvisor. jThere is a screw underneth a little plastic cover. There should be a connector There that powers the unit. If theres no power there you may want to try checking your fuses.

Old 11-23-2005, 10:33 PM
1st Gear

The dealer was absolutely no help in getting my homelink to work (image my surprise :-) . I followed the instructions in the owner's manual, then tried the ones at Homelink, and still no go. I ended up sending Homelink the brand and model of my garage door opener, and they gave me specific programming instructions which worked. Many openers have a security feature where the code is changed on each usage, and these require that you go through a model-specific procedure to train the homelink device.

I had to go through a similar but slightly different programming sequence for the garage at my GF's place.

(I really hate those ugly *** garage door openers stuck in the visor or rattling around in the car, and there was no way in hell I was going to use one).

Old 11-23-2005, 10:52 PM
1st Gear

It's called a "rolling code". I found the Audi owner's manual's long, drawn-out procedure for rolling codes to be incorrect. Fortunately, the much shorter procedure printed on the side of my garage door opener worked just fine.

Old 11-23-2005, 10:54 PM
3rd Gear

I couldn't get mine programmed either.

Old 11-24-2005, 12:18 AM

Some garages you have to press a program code on the garage unit itself before you can do anything, so just be aware of that

Old 11-24-2005, 02:26 PM
4th Gear

that is how mine works . I had to hit the reocde button on the motor before I can do any programming

Old 12-29-2005, 01:22 AM
3rd Gear

So, let me get this straight. Is the audi's home link not like every other car on the planet that has this feature? My other car was a breeze and it was the exact same as every other one of my cars. You pull the car in the garage. Hit the learn button on the garage motor. That gives you 30 seconds to get in your car and program. Just start hitting the button you want programmed and shazam it works. Not true in the Audi though... Not sure what is wrong with mine. Everyone I know asks why I don't use my home link and use the opener.

Old 12-29-2005, 01:26 AM
2nd Gear

thats how it should work, yes. and btw this is a month old thread.

but thats how it worked or me

Quick Reply: Homelink Q