Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

infamous white smoke HELP

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 02:47 AM
1st Gear
Default infamous white smoke HELP

So i have a 2007 Audi a4 quattro.
i love and hate this car. the dealer and myself have put over 6000 (they claim 5,000 but i say bullshit) on trying to fix it.

when it drives i occasionally get white smoke out the back in a big puff that results in hearing clicking noises (i think they are coming from the engine or below it not exactly sure) and i cant describe it entirely but i become afraid to press the gas cause i can feel like a blockage or the power not being all there. i feel if i press the gas down more i will break something so i always ease up.

if i go up hill this happens, or when i accelerate. and sometimes the smoke would even be in my car. usually my car has a issue around 60 but i have had it make it up to 70-80 once in awhile but i do my best to stay off the highways so i dont smoke screen and cause a accident)

(can i just also state the ******* behind me on the highway today got mad i wasnt going over 60 so i gave it a little more gas knowing what would happen and left him driving into white smoke multiple times, so atleast thats a positive outlook)

i replaced the engine gasket, replaced the turbo a year ago and 3 weeks later same things happened.
gave the car a tune up, new oil filter, new spark plugs.
i have had a few mechnics look at it who are friends and none of us can figure out whats causing it.

i have read alot about it and even was going to purchase a new valve cover but one of my friends told me the one i have is fine.

i dont know what to do im stuck with this car for another 3-4 years. ( i, like a idiot, financed it cause i told myself i would get a nice car that wouldnt be a pain in the *** like the last 6 american made cars i've had.

the only damage i know of on the car is the joint exhaust has a hole in it.

i have a warranty on the turbo and i plan on replacing it once i find the reason and fix it so a new turbo wont get ruined as well.

any input and ideas are welcome i will reply ASAP. please audiforums everyone else has failed me.

Last edited by greg87; 06-20-2016 at 02:50 AM.
Old 06-20-2016, 10:23 AM
2nd Gear

If I remember correctly white smoke indicates water in the cylinder(s). I would have said head gasket (which you say was replaced). My knowledge on turbo is limited (very limited) but if ours are water cooled I wonder if coolant isn't somehow making it's way into the engine that way? Maybe someone who knows more about them can add to this. Other than that my next thought would be (and I am sorry to say it) a possible crack in the block.