Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jacking up my car.

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2006, 05:36 PM
1st Gear
Default Jacking up my car.

I just did a search and read the steps to changing your oil, at least i think it was the right one. it was for a 2000 1.8T and mine is a 2001 1.8t so it should work right?

Anyways my real question was how exactly should i jack up my car? I dont want it to fall and i dont want to damage anything, also what is the best way to jack it up and what should i use when changing my oil? Also besides changing my oil, when i want to rotate my tires, what is the best way to do that? thanks guys you all make my life way easier.

Old 12-02-2006, 06:00 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Jacking up my car.

I had a 1994 90 with the original Audi screw-style jack (not hydraulic). I also have a regular hydraulic jack for a second

Under the car, along the bottom of the car there were circular dents along the body marking the proper location for a jack.

When I change my oil, I generally try to angle the car and jack up the car so the oil pan drain is the lowest spot so the most dirty oil gets drained. Most people don't do this but while the oil drain plug is out and old oil is draining, I chase that with some new oil. I pour oil in and wait until the new oil comes out, then close the plug, then refill.

When rotating your tires, if you have only one jack, you can use your spare to hold up whatever corner while you rotate. Ideally, you'll jack up the entire car using four jacks or jackstands but you can make it work with one jack and a spare. As far as patterns, check out this link which shows the best methods to rotate tires based on your cars transmission.

Old 12-02-2006, 06:22 PM
4th Gear

If your gonna do work yourself then invest in a proper jack (not the flimsy one in the car) and a set of jack stands, four if possible. Rotate the tires from right rear to left front and left rear to right front. For your first question, yes it should work.

Old 12-02-2006, 07:25 PM
3rd Gear

Might as well go to wally world and get the proper stuff. A decent jack runs $15, and a set of 2 stands runs $15

Old 12-02-2006, 07:56 PM
Tech Guru

you might wanna see if your tires are directional before you go doing the x patern rotate, if they are directional you can only change them right front to right rear and rr -rf, lf-lr, lr-lf

check that before you go changing them, if you don't you will be destroying a set of tires if they are directional

Old 12-02-2006, 08:08 PM
1st Gear

Alright , so i just got back from schucks and purchased two, 2 ton jack stands, a jack, and castrol full cythetic blend 5w30. Now i gotta wait til monday to go to the VW dealership and get a large high performance oil filter.

I was wondering though, can i use the jack, the two jack stands, and the one that came with the car as a fourth to hold up my car for an all wheel tire rotation? If not i guess i could go purchase another set of stands, though id rather not.

one other question, my steering has been making very low and quiet rumbles on the more sharp turns i guess you could say. or when it is turned realy far. So qiet though that the music has to be off and generaly while im not accelerarting. I wasthinking brake fluid. I think i found the right one, checked it, it was full. when i turn right it seems worse.

Old 12-02-2006, 08:30 PM
2nd Gear

Here's a link to jacking up your car:
http://forums.audiworld.com/a4/msgs/1591159.phtml

Old 12-03-2006, 02:19 AM
4th Gear

or you can jack up the front of your car, put in the jack stands, take off the wheels... then move the jack to the back and lift it up in the middle so it goes up evenly... you really wont need jackstands in the back if your just switching the wheels

Old 12-03-2006, 02:35 AM
4th Gear

one other question, my steering has been making very low and quiet rumbles on the more sharp turns i guess you could say. or when it is turned realy far. So qiet though that the music has to be off and generaly while im not accelerarting. I wasthinking brake fluid. I think i found the right one, checked it, it was full. when i turn right it seems worse.
Could be a wheel bearing, cv joint, or possibly tie rod end, or control arms.

Since you said it does it in sharp turns, guessing thats the cv joint.

Old 12-03-2006, 10:11 AM
4th Gear

I'm guessing wheel bearing starting to go..

Make sure your car is on jack stands, and that the rear wheels are chocked and the emergency brake is on before you get under a car.

Quick Reply: Jacking up my car.