Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More Suspension Noises...

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 01:35 AM
1st Gear
Default More Suspension Noises...

This is on an '03 A4 Quattro 3.0. It's not quite a squeak...it's almost exactly like the sound loose change makes in your pocket. It sounds like it's coming from both sides in the front and it's only when going over bumps. Has anyone ever experienced anything like this? I was going to try replacing the original struts since the car has ~70k miles anyway, but then I saw that strut bearings are available as well. I'll admit that I don't know too much about this particular suspension setup and I've never had an occasion to replace a strut bearing before. Do these typically get replaced with the struts? Could the bearing be responsible for my noise? And finally, does replacing the struts necessitate an alignment to be performed? I'd appreciate any insight at all...thanks!

Old 09-12-2006, 02:06 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: More Suspension Noises...

im experiencing the same thing lately. mine sounds like a consistent squeek everytime i hit a bump. cousin told me might be the tie rod ends. not sure though. someone else told me to lubricate the bump stops or sumthin like that

Old 09-13-2006, 07:47 PM

I have the same problem as well. actually i had this problem since the day bought my 03 a4 brand new at audi dealer. i came back to dealer day after. but they said the sound is normal... well.. i am now just live with it

Old 09-13-2006, 07:51 PM

spray all the rubber joints with silicon spray, the noise is rubber against rubber a common problem on the A4

Old 09-13-2006, 07:58 PM
1st Gear

I know exactly what you are talkin about and it is the rubber cup thing on top of the strut. When that gets worn you get play in the suspension that sounds like loose change or a small chain rattling.

Usually it starts on the front left and eventually the front right will wear as well.

Sorry I forgot the exact name of it but last months issue of Euro Tuner with the Avant and the A4 on the cover had a perfect picture of what a worn one looked like.

Old 09-14-2006, 12:21 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Sydeshow MO

I know exactly what you are talkin about and it is the rubber cup thing on top of the strut. When that gets worn you get play in the suspension that sounds like loose change or a small chain rattling.

Usually it starts on the front left and eventually the front right will wear as well.

Sorry I forgot the exact name of it but last months issue of Euro Tuner with the Avant and the A4 on the cover had a perfect picture of what a worn one looked like.

Thanks, that helps a lot! Is the cup you're referring to the strut bearing?

Old 09-14-2006, 05:34 AM
1st Gear

No its not a bearing. This should be between the strut tower and the strut. I have never seen it nor have I looked for it. I just know on my car, thats whats causing that sound. I was quoted 2 hours labor to replace both sides plus parts.

ORIGINAL: MingDriver

ORIGINAL: Sydeshow MO

Thanks, that helps a lot! Is the cup you're referring to the strut bearing?

Old 09-14-2006, 06:15 PM
1st Gear

I have the same noise coming from both sides. I changed my suspension about one month ago and the noise still exists. I had the same problem on my 02 Maxima and fixed it by replacing the strut tops and strut bearings (both were relatively cheap parts).

Old 09-14-2006, 10:20 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for all the replies. I don't suppose anyone has a drawing/cutaway of the front suspension?

Old 09-15-2006, 12:10 AM
1st Gear

Sweet, glad I'm not the only one with this problem. I figured it was bushings going bad. I'll spray them with silicone and see what happens.