Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some AC A/C Recharge Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2006, 05:32 PM
Default Need some AC A/C Recharge Help

Alllrighty Everyone -

I've scoured the mighy search feature on recharging the AC system and I need some pointers.

I've got no cold air blowing.

I've got a can of Rc134a with some UV Dye and I've got myself some gauges.

I've located my High/Low Pressure Ports:

Ignore the dirt ... that'll be another project after I'm blowing cold again.

I've got a UV light to see if I'm leaking, so now I just need some direction on how much Rc134a to throw in there, and any other nice AF member pointers.

I know there is a risk of harming the AC system, but I am 1.5hr from the nearest Audi dealer, so I'm looking to at least see if I need to just recharge or if I have a leak.

Directions from the start would be appreciated, as I won't claim to be super AC savy and am humbling myself before the knowledge of the AF's.

Thanks Everyone in advance.

Old 06-03-2006, 05:40 PM
5th Gear
Default RE: Need some AC A/C Recharge Help

there is no low side port on our cars..you'll have to have it recharged by a shop

Old 06-03-2006, 08:48 PM

I was under the impression that was only for the 96's. Is this not true?

Old 06-03-2006, 09:29 PM
4th Gear

I dont know about the low side thing, but get a kit that has a guage, so you can tell how charged the system is. that way you can put some in, and check with the guage, untill you are in the normal range.

Check a haynes or bentley manual for the answer to the low-side question, or maybe someone else here knows more about it.

Old 06-03-2006, 09:37 PM

I'm sporting a nice set of gauges, but I'm sorta like the blind man with a PSG-1. They won't help me a whole lot unless I know what reading I'm looking for haha.

If anyone else has a Haynes or Bentley and could check on the High/Low Press. issue and what pressure I need to be around that would be great.

Old 06-03-2006, 09:47 PM
5th Gear

my bad afruss, for some reason i thought you had a 96...not sure about the later models, but from the picture you posted that definitely looks like a pair of high and low side ports

Old 06-03-2006, 09:50 PM

ORIGINAL: bentframe

my bad afruss, for some reason i thought you had a 96...not sure about the later models, but from the picture you posted that definitely looks like a pair of high and low side ports
Shoot, if that's the worse thing you did, I think we'll be alright

I was thinking to myself, now they do look like a high and low, but maybe I'm more stupid when it comes to these cars than I thought.

Haha, I just found out that we had a little button on the B pillar behind the driver to turn off the internal sensors, so shoot, I could certainly have messed this one up.

Old 06-03-2006, 11:09 PM
2nd Gear

dude its simple as hell so i can help you

1) The fatter pipe is low - charge that
2) The hook up won't fit the high anyway so you'll know which one to charge
3) Take reading before
4) Charge to 25 psi
5) Read gauge
6) Charge to 30 psi

you're good to go

if you want to see where its leaking - charge it with die to 20 psi - see if it leaks - do 30 psi - then a ibt more to 40 psi - see if it leaks

if its not leaking - open the port up (push down on the nozzle of the charge can without releasing gas and it'll release the gas in the a/c systme)

gauge it to 30 psi then ur good to go

OR

just get the kit with the leak fixer, lubricant and everything and u're good to go

Old 06-03-2006, 11:22 PM

Now I'm doing all of this with the car running and the AC all the way cranked up correct?

Man, I appreciate it.

Old 06-04-2006, 01:13 AM
2nd Gear

yeah or else compressor wont cycle air

Quick Reply: Need some AC A/C Recharge Help