Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible Audi Purchaser Here!! Please Chime in

Old 09-06-2007, 06:40 PM
1st Gear
Default Possible Audi Purchaser Here!! Please Chime in

Hi, I am currently the owner of a 1998 M3, its an automatic. Anyways, I put it up for sale because I just could not get used to the auto, and I wanted to get something manual. So, I get this email for a trade for a silver 96' audi a4 5 speed, and 2.5K cash. Plus my car is salvage and his is clean, so it evens out perfect. Anyways, I have never really been an audi guy except I really like the look of the S4's, those are the only ones I ever really noticec. So, I have a couple questions for you guys, if you can answer them, I would really appreciate it.
1.Whats the average et. and trap speeds with a good driver on a 96 2.8 A4? 5 speed
2. Whats my modding potential as far as engine wise, nothing too crazy like turbos though?
3. Whats the reliability of these cars, especially with it having 130K miles?
4. Is there lots of choice as far as exterior lips, spoilers, kits etc.? oh and how much do they cost
5. What are some cars you can compare to the performance of the audi 2.8 5 speed?
6. What are some key things I should look for before I trade with the guy, anything specific?

Also, if you guys have any thing else you could help me with regarding this topic, I would really appreciate it! Thanks

Old 09-06-2007, 06:46 PM
Default RE: Possible Audi Purchaser Here!! Please Chime in

First, with the 2.8 there is not much modding you can do other than an exhaust or a chip that will do little. Unless you have 3 grand plus for a supercharger, there is not much you can do to that engine. Second, as long as the engine has been well maintained you are fine at 130,000 miles. Mine has 126,000 and still runs like a dream. Just make sure to check his records and that all the service has been done. I dont know much about body kits I love my stock (sleeper) look so i couldn't answer that for you. Make sure he has done the timing belt etc. You dont want to get slammed with athousand dollar bill to get that changed.

Old 09-06-2007, 06:52 PM
1st Gear

He said he changed the timiing belt and water pump 11K miles ago and has paperwork to prove it. Sounds like he maintained it well. So, whats the average quarter mile et.'s and trap speeds? Im just curoise, Im not looking for some beats obviously, but I would like it to have enough torque for daily driving, and form what i have read, 184 at 3000 is not too shabby, and should be pretty good.

Old 09-06-2007, 06:54 PM
Site Moderator

There is no chip or super charger for the 12v v6. The 12 v is the least modable of the a4 engines.
96/97=12v
98-01=30v

Old 09-06-2007, 07:00 PM

I guess there isn't a chip then. My bad. It's not going to be as fast as you think. Is it an all wheel drive or front wheel. Audi's are some what heavy. They are made more for luxury. If you find a 1.8 turbo engine there is a lot more you can do to the engine to make more hp.

Old 09-06-2007, 08:10 PM

'96 1/4 mile time: way to slow

The 2.8 doesn't sound like it's for you, go for a 1.8T or an S4.

Old 09-07-2007, 01:32 AM
1st Gear

Hey guys, so I went ahead and took a test drive in his car and I am very disappointed. I understand the car was never meant to be a speed demon, but its was JUST PLAIN SLOW! No torque whatsoever. Im not dissing on any of you guys, im just probably used to the torque in the M3. Anyways, that would have passed but there was another problem, the idle was very bouncy and rough. Also, when you drive it and give it only light throttle, its smooth, but when you give it gas, it studders and hesitates! I dont know what that is but its not good. Oh, and when you listen to the car at idle with the hood open, you hear this whirrling kind of noise. The best way I can describe it is the movie "Flubber", when he had it in his engine, just like that. Any ideas??

Old 09-07-2007, 01:39 AM
5th Gear

definitely pass on this deal. the 12v 2.8 is pretty much the worst a4 you can get. try and find a 1.8T or if u have the cash an s4

Old 09-07-2007, 01:53 AM
I'm make believe

The 1.8t with a chip will KILLa 2.8/3.0 v6 with ease. 14's are doable with just simple bolt ons.

Old 09-07-2007, 01:54 AM

And since you have the M3, S4 might be more your fit. But u can mod the hell out of a 1.8T

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Possible Audi Purchaser Here!! Please Chime in