Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Police Scanner Hardwire *Pics*

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 11:35 PM
2nd Gear
Default Police Scanner Hardwire *Pics*

I purchsed a Uniden BearCat Scanner, and hardwired it into the A4. The Install was pretty simple, and this method can also be used to install any electronic that you don't want taking up your cigarette lighter socket.

Supplies...

Soldering Iron
Solder
Fuse (AMP rating is up to you to decide on which one to use)
Hardwire kit (If your electronic comes with one...)
Multimeter
Fuse Tap

Supplies used, as mentioned above... (Minus the Fluke Multimeter)

20 AMP fuse, and Fuse Tap, purchased from NAPA auto supplies...

Simply place the fuse tap over the fuse, on the right side, when the fuse is upright. Then, solder your 12V lead to the end of the fuse tap. It's now ready to be plugged back into the fuse box.

Fuse box, showing the installed 20 AMP fuse, with hot lead soldered to the fuse tap, and the negative ground attached to the bolt.

The finished product, the Uniden BC Scanner fits like a glove in the lower owner's manual holder. No need to mount anything, it just slides in, and is very snug...

Owner's manual, for a 2002 B6, showing the fuse socket I used. I decided to go with the 20 AMP Fuel Pump socket, because it's turned on and off with the ignition. This way, I can leave the scanner in the on position, but not have to worry about it draining my battery down when I shut the car off.

Old 03-25-2006, 12:38 AM
5th Gear
Default RE: Police Scanner Hardwire *Pics*

Nice man but you know that you could just hook it up to the igniton on power post which is just under the knee pannel might be easier than the fuse idea, but either way nice install you sure dont want to get caught by the cop do ya lol

Old 03-25-2006, 01:14 AM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: BadLuckAudi

Nice man but you know that you could just hook it up to the igniton on power post which is just under the knee pannel might be easier than the fuse idea, but either way nice install you sure dont want to get caught by the cop do ya lol
Yea, I know everyone's said it before, but I hate getting tickets. I don't drive like a crazy person, I just don't like having to look down at my speed all the time. I just drive at a speed that feels "Comfortable", which for some people is way too high, lol.

Not to mention, being able to listen to what the police are doing at any given time is kind of cool... While riding in the car the other day, I heard on the radio "Dispatch, Unit 42, re-fueling at Texaco... "10-4"..." And sure enough, my radar started going off... and he was sitting right there. Love it!

Old 03-25-2006, 01:50 AM
18T
4th Gear

where do you get this unit from? man your **** is like hulk hogans boat from thunder in paradise, all cool gadgets and stuff.

Old 03-25-2006, 01:55 AM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: 18T

where do you get this unit from? man your **** is like hulk hogans boat from thunder in paradise, all cool gadgets and stuff.
LOL, yea, minus the "Stealth Mode" Button, which turns the boat invisible. That would be some h4x James Bond $hit right there!

I bought the unit from a local store in town, called "Bernie's Electronics". Paid about $150 for it, with the hardwire kit included...

Old 03-25-2006, 01:56 AM

i always heard rumor that it wasn't legal to have a scanner inside your vehicle?

Old 03-25-2006, 01:58 AM
18T
4th Gear

ehhh throw that legaaaaaaaaaaal bullshit out and have fun with your life. at least in this aspect.

last year there was a 01S4 for sale on egay that was a police cruiser, had full lights and everything (undercover car) it was really sweet, but someone bought it.

Old 03-25-2006, 02:09 AM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: sneakerpro

i always heard rumor that it wasn't legal to have a scanner inside your vehicle?
In Virginia and Washington D.C., this is VERY illegal, they will confiscate your equipment, and fine you very heavily.

In every other state, the rule basically breaks down to this...

If you have a scanner in your car, and use it to commit a crime (Speeding, etc etc), then they can fine you... Keep in mind, that the officer must "see" that the unit is "on" when he issues you the ticket for the offence. This is why I mounted the unit "low" for one... If I get pulled over, as soon as I see the blue flashing lights behind me, I will just reach down and turn the unit off.

Police can't write you a ticket for something they can't see...