Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

problems, problems, problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 04:08 PM
5th Gear
Default problems, problems, problems

hmmm....where to begin. a while ago my coolant light started flashing. i ran out to the stealership, picked up a bottle of g12 and poured a 50/50 solution until it hit the max line on the reservoir. to my dismay, about 2 weeks later the light started flashing again, so again i added g12 and water. another 2 weeks the same thing. then it started happening more often like every couple days. i couldn't afford anymore g12 and figured i had a coolant leak so it was a waste to dump any more in there, so i started just putting water in. i dont know about audi's but with all the other cars i've owned i've always been able to put straight water in the radiator since i live in south florida and water doesn't freeze down here....ever....hence no need for any ANTIfreeze. this was right before i made the trip up to tallahassee (where i currently live) on the trip up i had to fill my reservoir twice and since i've gotten into town it seems like my car drinks more water than i do. i just keep pouring gallons in and yet i see none leak out onto the ground when i fill it. WHERE THE HELL IS IT ALL GOING!?!?!?!?!?! and now just recently my oil temp starting going up. i checked the dipstick and i was a little low so i added a half a quart. few days later it happened again. WTF IS GOING ON!?! again i added more oil but now i can only drive my car for 2 miles before the oil temp goes above 250, and if i drive it for 4 miles it hits 325. is my oil burning so hot cause of the lack of coolant? i really hope so.

ok so now to fix these problems. im gona flush the coolant system and see if i can find the leak and change my oil. are there any spots that are notorious for coolant leaks? and also is there anywhere i can buy amsoil in town? i asked the euro shop in town and they wont even put it in my car, wtf is up with that?

Old 09-04-2007, 04:11 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: problems, problems, problems

your oil is burning hot because there is no oil left when you change your oil I bet its full of G12 - sounds like a head gasket

Old 09-04-2007, 04:14 PM
5th Gear

what do you mean there is no oil left? the dipstick reads full

Old 09-04-2007, 04:16 PM
3rd Gear

I mean its going to be a large % of coolant to oil ratio - but if you have 100% oil on the dipstick and its not foamy then maybe thats not your problem - if you don't have an external leak then its going somewhere, usual case is head gasket

Old 09-04-2007, 04:20 PM
4th Gear

If it isn't leaking externally then it is leaking internally, either had gasket is blown or there is a leak at the oil cooler. The cheaper fix is the oil cooler. Also check the coolant line to the oil cooler as the clamp tends to loosen and coolant can leak out.

Old 09-04-2007, 04:27 PM

sounds like classic symptoms of a blown head gasket to me. the oil issue is odd though, not sure what to think of that.

Old 09-04-2007, 04:29 PM
Site Moderator

If no visible leaks, it sounds like a head gasket problem. Especially if oil temps are getting that high.

Old 09-04-2007, 04:43 PM
5th Gear

damn[&o] i cant replace a head gasket by myself...how much do shops usually charge?

Old 09-04-2007, 04:46 PM
Site Moderator

Pm auditech and link him to this thread. Id like to know what he has to say.

Old 09-04-2007, 04:59 PM
1st Gear

change your oil and if you see coolant in there only then change your gasket, this is very easy job

Quick Reply: problems, problems, problems