Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

question about ipod for 2004 A4 1.8T

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 02:26 PM
Default question about ipod for 2004 A4 1.8T

I have a 2004 A4 1.8T with the Bose sound system. I am looking for the best sounding ipod sound system.I have an in-dash 6 disc cd changer. Which ipod/stero system should I buy and do I need to buy anything else because the changer is in the dash and not in the trunk??? Thanks for all the help.

Old 07-19-2007, 02:31 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: question about ipod for 2004 A4 1.8T

Well if you like your 6 cd changer don't get the kit from audi because it has you re-wire the power from the changer to the ipod, meaning you have to eliminate the 6cd changer for the ipod. But it does sound amazing.

Old 07-19-2007, 04:33 PM

I would like to keep the in-dash cd changer available in case someone wanted to play a cd in the car at some point. With that being said, which adapter should I get? I've read a lot about the Ice Link and Dension products as well as Neo and Alpine but I am still unsure as to which would be the best for me. Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

Old 07-19-2007, 07:45 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: auditech79

Well if you like your 6 cd changer don't get the kit from audi because it has you re-wire the power from the changer to the ipod, meaning you have to eliminate the 6cd changer for the ipod. But it does sound amazing.
Actually this isn't quite the case. If you have the in-dash changer (like I do) you can install the factory iPod interface without comprimising the factory changer. The wiring doodad they send you tricks the factory head unit into thinking you have an external CD-changer, and routs that functionality to the iPod instead. It sounds great, but the controllability is a bit underwhelming. Install took me about 30 minutes, with no tools other than the radio removal keys. I'm happy with the Audi iPod adapter, but I'd like better control over the iPod.

Good luck...

boy412

Old 07-19-2007, 07:55 PM

Thanks for your opinion and all of the information!
[align=center] [/align]

Old 07-19-2007, 07:58 PM

is there another type of adapter that will also allow me to keep the in-dash changer functional? I would like to have the ipod mounted next to the headunit instead of in the glove box so I can search using the acutal ipod. However, I don't want to sacrifice money or sound quality.
[align=right] [/align]

Old 07-20-2007, 12:55 PM
Site Moderator

My friend uses a radio adapter. It plugs into the 12 outlet then tunes into a station thats not being used and then you can use your ipod to change songs as well as volume. This method doesn't get as good reception or sound quality from the ipod but it is acceptable and gives you more control over the ipod.
The only down side is if your traveling long distances you will have to change radio stations your tapping into because what station is not being used in one city is being used in the next.

Old 07-20-2007, 02:20 PM

yeah, the radio option isn't for me because the sound quality sucks. Does the headunit have an auxiliary in jack so I can just buy an aux to stereo cable? If i get that cable I can just buy a panavise bracket and a clip and mount it anywhere I want. My friend has that setup in hisRSX but he said I need the aux in port on the headunit for it to work.

Old 07-20-2007, 02:45 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: jasmoss

is there another type of adapter that will also allow me to keep the in-dash changer functional? I would like to have the ipod mounted next to the headunit instead of in the glove box so I can search using the acutal ipod. However, I don't want to sacrifice money or sound quality.
[align=right] [/align]
I'm saying you can install the factory iPod adapter without loosing the functionality of your in-dash CD changer. It sounds great and is an easy install. The keys are easy to use, and the adapter comes with decent installation instructions. Don't dick around with any FM style adapters...they sound wretched.

Old 07-20-2007, 03:01 PM

Haha. I am not even contemplating using an FM style adapter but the only reason I am leaning away from the Audi factory adapter is because of the price. I can just buy an aux to stero cable and connectthe ipod that way, but onlyif the headunit has an aux in port. If I go that route (the aux to stereo cord, panavise mount and clip) I can save some money as opposed to spending 150 bucks on the factory Audi adapter.

Quick Reply: question about ipod for 2004 A4 1.8T