Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radio Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 08:13 AM
Default Radio Wiring

Hi All,

I have a 1997 Audi A4 1.8T. It came with a factory fitted Sony head unit and auto changer. Anyway, I have fitted one of these DVD head unit thingys and plugged it in with the ISO connectors that were already installed in the car.

So far so good.

Everything works great however, everytime I turn the ignition off the unit loses it's settings which would indicate that the ignition and the permanent live are round the wrong way. The sony unit never did this.......

The unit is currently wired red (ignition) to red and yellow (permanent live) to yellow.

Is this correct? The instructions that came with the unit point to the above but I would like to know if the red and yellow in the car are correct.

Do any of you know the correct wiring sequence?

Any help much appreciated...

TIA

Paul

Old 05-25-2006, 07:30 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Radio Wiring

Have you check with a tested to see if the permanent live coming from the car is good? Worst case, just fine the permanent on the radio and feed it with a different source from the car. wire one from the fuse box to the radio. Sorry, if thats any help.

Old 05-25-2006, 10:23 PM
1st Gear

yeah, your issue is only w/ the constant power wire. Like said above, just run a new wire off the fuse box. It's a low current draw, which just allows your settings to be remembered, doesn't actually power the amp.

Old 05-25-2006, 10:29 PM
1st Gear

Just check both wires with a voltage tester. First do it with the key in the off position. If you get voltage on one of them, that is your constant hot. Double check it with the key on just to make sure the other does what it should as well.....

Old 05-26-2006, 05:27 AM
2nd Gear

the constant power wire is yellow comming off the dvd unit and the accsery wire is red the red wire sould loose power when key is off and the yellow need to have power after the key is off. the easyest place to pull constant from is the cig light just make sure the the cig lighter works with the key off it normally does and it is pretty close to the radio locattion the constat power on the cig lighter is the one in that is connected to the center prong just run a wire the cig light er and be sure to but a fuse in that wire. and when testing be sure not to use a TEST LIGHT they can be bad news for a lot of newer cars i have actully seen a air bag deploy due to the use of a test light. on some of these dvd unit they need more amps then a non dvd unit so somtime you will need to find a different power source such as the cig lighter or the igntion harness. send me a pm or email if you haveany more questions i was a certifacted installer for 5+ years hope this help and doesn't confuse you