Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replace rotors or both pads and rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 08:18 PM
Default Replace rotors or both pads and rotors?

Hello Everyone,

I need your input.

Car: 1999 Audi A4 Quattro 2.8L V6 30valve with 127,xxx miles

I am planning to replace my rotors. They are pretty worn. The pads still probably have about 50-70% wear on them. Now, here is the big question:

1. Can I only replace the rotors, or is it advised to replace both the pads and the rotor at the same time?
2. What kind or rotor do you advise? - I was thinking of going with standard flat surface rotors for daily driver - Maybe brembo or the ones from the ecstunning website?
3. Also, what kind of pads do most of you recommend for future times? - I was looking into Green Stuff or Hawk HPS (High Performance Street)
4. Any preference on brake fluid as well?

Also, this might be off topic, but I'm looking into doing some "control arm" and "CV boot" replacement. I found some DIY links out there. Has anyone done this themsevles and been successful? Is it recommended to do it yourself or should you let a pro mech handel this? My only concern is causing more problems and more money spending in the end by DIYing it.

Your input is greatly appreciated!

Old 10-08-2007, 08:37 PM
5th Gear
Default RE: Replace rotors or both pads and rotors?

as for rotors, a OEM type will work fine. and u don't have to replace pads and rotors. i would recommend buying them at a local parts store as rotors from online may arrive defective and then u would be waiting a while before u can get another set. if ur not going to be doing any racing, any pad will do fine except don't get super cheap ones because they will not last wutsoever. if u have an autozone near by, go ask them wut they're warranty policy is on their brake pads. the one by me will replace the brakes even if they are just worn from use.
as for fluid i believe it's DOT4. at least that's wut haynes manual says.
control arm and cv boot are easy. also if u can get an impact gun, ur life would be alot better. the only thing will the control arms is that they may be rusted onto the spindle which in my case i had to break the spindle to get the control arms off. see if ur local used parts store has a pair jsut in case u need them. also, if u doing the cv boot, might as well do the wheel bearing since u got that many miles on ur car. i regret not doing mine.
some useful tools:
imapct gun
brake piston tool: it pushes the piston into the caliper so the new parts will fit
wheel bearing puller
and a **** load of corona with lime and hand cleaner lol

Old 10-08-2007, 08:48 PM

ORIGINAL: hiwords

as for rotors, a OEM type will work fine. and u don't have to replace pads and rotors. i would recommend buying them at a local parts store as rotors from online may arrive defective and then u would be waiting a while before u can get another set. if ur not going to be doing any racing, any pad will do fine except don't get super cheap ones because they will not last wutsoever. if u have an autozone near by, go ask them wut they're warranty policy is on their brake pads. the one by me will replace the brakes even if they are just worn from use.
as for fluid i believe it's DOT4. at least that's wut haynes manual says.
control arm and cv boot are easy. also if u can get an impact gun, ur life would be alot better. the only thing will the control arms is that they may be rusted onto the spindle which in my case i had to break the spindle to get the control arms off. see if ur local used parts store has a pair jsut in case u need them. also, if u doing the cv boot, might as well do the wheel bearing since u got that many miles on ur car. i regret not doing mine.
some useful tools:
imapct gun
brake piston tool: it pushes the piston into the caliper so the new parts will fit
wheel bearing puller
and a **** load of corona with lime and hand cleaner lol

Is there any certain DOT4 brand you would recommend? I was looking at the "ATE Blue" from http://www.blauparts.com/audi/audi_f...audibrakefluid It is blue in color to help you when you change fluids next time to know when the old fluid is completely drained. What do you think?

Thanks for all the great info

Old 10-08-2007, 08:56 PM
5th Gear

pentosin DOT4. they are pretty good

Old 10-08-2007, 09:19 PM
3rd Gear

Head on over to your local napa and get their DOT4 fluid. I used it in my Taurs SHO and A4 and both had upgraded brakes - never had an issue.