Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Resolved!: Threw first CEL, engine not starting, loud noise when trying to startup

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2006, 09:16 PM
2nd Gear
Default Resolved!: Threw first CEL, engine not starting, loud noise when trying to startup

Hey guys,

Well, I threw my first CEL just a few minutes ago. 6:00 on a sunday night...lovely.

Anyways, the subject line says it all. Upon inserting the key, the dash lights up normally, but when trying to start the engine, no dice. It makes a very rapid, loud noise, possibly the alternator trying to engage? The noise sounds like a pneumetic (air powered) device venting air, almost like a small machine gun. I tried starting twice, waiting 5 min while checking my battery connections, and tried a 3rd time. CEL is now on.

The only thing I can think of....when filling my windshield wiper resevoir a few days ago, I spilled some on the electrical relay next to the resevoir. That's the starter assembly, isn't it? I've driven 2-3 days since, with no problems.

I'll start searching, but since i have to be at work in 12 hours, any help would be VERY appreciated.

Old 11-12-2006, 09:28 PM
5th Gear
Default RE: Need help: Threw first CEL, engine not starting, loud noise when trying to startup

did you turbo outlet pipe fall off??? is the motor even turning over

Old 11-12-2006, 09:31 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Need help: Threw first CEL, engine not starting, loud noise when trying to startup

Nope, engine is not turning over.....well, let me amend that by saying it's such a loud noise, that it probably has to be the engine trying to turn over. It's just not starting.

And I'm naturally aspirated...

Old 11-12-2006, 09:34 PM
5th Gear

lol ok so that would elim the turbo lol guess i missed that part..... id say your starter has toasted or the bendix gear thing is stuck... try tapping on the starter with a hammer and see if it works

Old 11-12-2006, 09:34 PM
4th Gear

Sounds like maybe battery is dying.

if starter doesnt get enough power, it will make a rapid clicking sound "clic-clic-clic-clic-clic-clic-clic"

Its trying to engage, but is not getting enough electrical power.

try jump starting the car, if it starts OK, then your battery is low and should be replaced.

Old 11-12-2006, 09:35 PM
4th Gear

You'll have to get the code read.

Old 11-12-2006, 09:39 PM
2nd Gear

Yeah, that makes sense. Come to think of it now, that battery is at LEAST 2 years old. Could be way older, who knows...dumb question, but what's the typical life on a battery?

I"m gonna call AAA for a jump, and try to rule that out. Gonna grab a flashlight and try to check my water level as well. And I'll smack the schit out of my starter while I"m at it :-)

Does a dead battery throw a code?

Old 11-12-2006, 09:42 PM
4th Gear

I doubt it's the battery, but it would be good to have the AAA dude
take a look.

Old 11-12-2006, 09:44 PM
5th Gear

lol a low battery could throw a code but probably not

Old 11-12-2006, 09:48 PM
4th Gear

Have you opened the hood to see if anything is loose or if any of the turbo connections have fallen off?

Have someone turn the key and try to locate what is making noise.

Sounds perhaps like the starter solenoids trying to engage, but that wouldn't cause a CEL.

Quick Reply: Resolved!: Threw first CEL, engine not starting, loud noise when trying to startup