Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

right rear fog light

Old 11-09-2006, 10:45 AM
DZA
1st Gear
Default right rear fog light

I have a 2003 A4 and my question is about the little warning light that flashes with the fuel low light, etc. The warning light is the circle with an X through it and looking it up shows that I have a light out or a light with issues. This warning light is displayed a third of the time. IF it comes on, it'll come on when I start the engine but sometimes I can start it up and never get the light.

Also, below the warning light, when I start the engine, the display reads, "RIGHT REAR FOG LIGHT". Searching this and other forums doesn't really make much sense of the message. Am I getting the light warning b/c of the right rear fog light? If there isn't supposed to be a right rear fog light, why is it telling me about it?

I'm in the USA if that matters for versioning of the car.

Thanks.

Old 11-09-2006, 11:52 AM
Default RE: right rear fog light

you obviously have a bulb blown, when you say right side sitting in the drivers seat LHD the right side is the rear passenger side and left is your side so it needs a bulb in the right side, confusing isn't it lol

Old 11-09-2006, 12:02 PM
DZA
1st Gear

if the bulb is blown, how come the warning light isn't always on?

i'm with you on where the bulb is out but reading other posts, there IS no right rear fog light. supposedly the rear fog light is only on the drivers side.

Old 11-09-2006, 12:08 PM

could it be your car has both rear fog lights like mine has many were fitted with both in the UK not sure about the US

Old 11-09-2006, 12:12 PM
DZA
1st Gear

Being in the US, I understood that it was illegal to have both as it'd appear as if you're braking. I could be wrong but I found many posts about this stating that I don't have a right rear fog.

Old 11-09-2006, 01:13 PM
1st Gear

Did you change any coding with VAG-COM? If you did, you could have enabled the passenger-side fog mistakenly, and since it's not physically connected and/or the bulb isn't present, it isn't going to work and will throw the bulb out alarm.

I know there are coding/adaptations in some of the modules for left-hand vs. right-hand drive, I wonder if one of those can cause this.

The other possibility is that there's supposed to be a resistor in the circuit for the right-hand fog to prevent the bulb warning, and that is loose.

Does the drivers side rear fog work when you turn it on? Maybe for grins, try installing a bulb in the right-hand side and see if it lights up. If it does, it could mean your car's modules aren't coded properly for USA/left hand drive.

Old 11-09-2006, 01:20 PM
DZA
1st Gear

I didn't even know I had rear fogs until yesterday when I paid attention to the warning message. So, no I don't know if the rear left fog works. Does it just come on with the front fogs (just pulling the head light ****)?

No, nothing was changed with VAG-COM... we only tried to clear it but it came back. I bought the car earlier in the year with this warning already on and there is no way the previous owner even knows what VAG-COM is let alone would try something like that. The service station that inspected the car told us that it was just a "short or faulty error code" b/c every light worked.

Old 11-09-2006, 01:54 PM

front and rear fog lights work independently so put the rear fogs on and take a look ( the dipped head lights have to be on for the rear fog to work ), chances are its just telling you that the rear fog light isn't working which ever side its on

Old 11-09-2006, 02:49 PM
1st Gear

Step one, see if the rear fog is working. Turn the ignition on, flip the headlight switch on so the headlights are on, make sure the high-beams are off, and pull the headlight switch out *two* clicks to turn on the rear fog. Then look to see what's lit up in back. The driver's side should have an extra light on that's smaller but as bright as a brake light.

If the light is out, check the bulb. If the passenger side lights, or the drivers side doesn't light and the bulb is ok, hook up the VAG-COM and go to 09-Cent. Elect., 46-Central Conv. and 17-Instruments and check the coding and adaptation values to make sure none are set to right-hand drive.

If you change any values, write down the original values just in case you mess something up, so you can go back.