Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RPM Needle Bouncing

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 12:29 PM
1st Gear
Default RPM Needle Bouncing

I have a 2006 Audi A4 2.0 Quattro with automatic transmission with 80K miles on it.

In Oct 2009 at 60K miles, I started having problem where the check engine light would come on whenever I was accelerating. The problem was that my Intake Camshaft, Fuel Pump and Cam Follower were failing. This was replaced. I was not too happy since this occurred shortly after the warranty on the car ended.

Since then I've had no problems until last month when a check engine light showed up. I also noticed the RPM needle bouncing usually when I was driving around 40-60 mph. I took it in the dealership and they replace the Pressure Regulator Valve. I took it home and the check engine light was cleared but the RPM needle continued to bounce. They checked out all possible causes and could not come up with a reason. They then looked at the Camshaft, Fuel Pump and Cam Follower again. This was failing again! They replaced it again. However the RPM needle continued to bounce. Service called me and told me that they wanted to replace my transmission fluid and filter for the transmission oil thinking that may be the culprit. They said that they did see some "metal glitter" in the oil, but no overt metal shavings.

I have gotten concerned because they keep trying to guess what is wrong and try different fixes which I am paying for and then the problem is not resolved. Luckily another A4 came in with the same problem and that car is under warranty. My service rep told me that they were going to work on that car first to see what the resolution is and then go back to my car.

As you can predict, I am getting concerned and frustrated.

A few questions:

1. Any thoughts of what may be going on?
2. Is the metal glitter in the transmission a concern? Does this predict a failing transmission?
3. Do you think the transmission oil change will fix the issue?

Old 05-16-2011, 10:44 AM
1st Gear

I have the same car and the same exact problem. when driving around 40mph the rpm's will begin to rev (bounce) up and down. I brought it to the dealership and no trans codes came up. Ignition coil? Trans fluid? HELP!

Old 05-18-2011, 09:50 PM
1st Gear

I have that same bouncing issue at 40mph, the car has 58k on it and I refuse to take it to the dealer and waste my money I love this car but am waiting for it to crap out. It still runs and there are no idiot lights on. At 80 its ok.

Old 05-19-2011, 10:34 AM
1st Gear
Default Update

Here is an update to my RPM bouncing needle issue. When I originally posted there was another car that came in with the same issue which was under warranty so they worked on that car. The verdict on that car was to replace the transmission. That worked for that individual b/c the transmission replacement was covered by warranty. Not so much for me.

Interesting to hear that there are others who have had this problem as well.

Are there any mechanics out there who may have an idea of what the culprit may be or any owners who had this and was diagnosed and fixed?

Old 05-19-2011, 03:29 PM
1st Gear

I have searched and read every thread I can find on this issue, this morning the car had 3 violent shifts trying to get into 5th gear. Then... Boom limp mode, stopped the car, turned it off and on, then shifted ok with minimal revving. brought it to the dealership and no F'n codes came up. I have only had this car a month and its still under the 2 month/2500 mile warranty. They keep saying that they won't fix it becuase no codes will come up?

It only happens in the morning, lunch and after work its fine. So I have had two test drives with the tech and even left it over night at the dealership so he could test drive it in the morning, but he said he didn't notice anything (bullshit)

Last edited by Apocalypse; 05-23-2011 at 08:38 AM.
Old 05-04-2015, 12:56 PM
1st Gear
Default 2007 Audi a4 2.0t needle bouncing

I am having the same issues right now. I have 83k on the car and its been happening for awhile. Is it worth fixing or should I just leave it be?

Old 05-09-2015, 09:23 PM
1st Gear

I had a transmission oil service that was done and that took care of the issue. My independent mechanic can't explain why but I am satisfied!

Old 05-10-2015, 10:09 AM
1st Gear

Thank you! They were telling me its built into the car so that it does not pump too much fuel or too little fuel in and that most cars have a certain point where they will do that. I didn't buy it. I'll have that done next.

Old 02-15-2016, 08:51 PM
1st Gear

Same issue. I have a 2008 a4 2.0t quatro.
It has been having intermittent acceleration while cruising at the same speed as mentioned above. But if I accelerate with more then 3000 RPMs in any gear the acceleration is smooth. I also have a very high-pitched noise that matches the RPMs and acceleration that I can only here at speeds lower than 25 mph probably just due to noise it's a very faint high-pitched noise. I checked the MAF and it is clean I cleaned my throttlebody very thoroughly any more suggestions?