Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP Audi A4 Engine/Oil Problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 05:08 AM
1st Gear
Default HELP Audi A4 Engine/Oil Problems

So, I bought a '98 Audi A4 Q Tip 1.8T about 3 weeks ago, has 122,000 miles, timing belt, tensioner, and water pump were repalced at 70,000. It was clean and smooth until I took it to Jiffy Lube. I went there to get an oil change, but they filled it a quart too full. I used Mobil 1 5W30 Full Syn and A K&N oil filter. Two days after the oil change I get the red oil light on my trip computer. I went back to JL, they removed the quart, but not 30 minutes after I left the light went off again! Problem is I don't know what is wrong with it. Is my oil pump dead? The dipstick shows that I am right with the amount, and my oil temp gauge does go up past 250 degrees. There is this ticking noise that happens after the engine is warmed up. If I haven't driven my car all day, I can run it through traffic for like 15 or 20 minutes b4 it gives me the oil light. It seems to only happed after the engine is warm. A ticking noise also get louder when the engine has warmed. I don't know what this ticking noise is. ANY help would be appriecated.

Old 09-19-2006, 07:46 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: HELP Audi A4 Engine/Oil Problems

Its possibly your oil pump. have it replaced if you can, its a rare problem.

Old 09-19-2006, 08:45 AM

chances are there is a blockage in the sump but if you replace the pump the sump has to come off anyway, don't drive it in that situation it will seriously damage your engine

Old 09-19-2006, 10:00 AM
4th Gear

Sounds like engine sludge blocking the uptake screen of the oil pump. Don't drive the car as your oil pressure is low. Have it towed to a mechaanic. You will need to drop the pan, clean the screen and possibly replace the oil pump.

Old 09-19-2006, 01:29 PM
1st Gear

Damn, so its sludge? or my oil pump? I stopped driving it, its just sitting there in my driveway, but I want to find/fix problem asap. What is that ticking noise that comes from my engine when warmed up? Hydralic lifters? Do I need to replace those too?

Thanks,
Robby

Old 09-19-2006, 05:54 PM
3rd Gear

i would make Jl pay for any and all of the repairs for putting in to much oil they should be held acountable for putting in to much oil..

Old 09-19-2006, 06:03 PM

lifters should be ok when the problem is sorted

Old 09-19-2006, 06:13 PM
Site Moderator

yeah the ticking lifters should clear up once you clean out the sludge and screen. If you had never had the ticking before, then this is a sure sign of sludge.

Old 09-19-2006, 06:16 PM
1st Gear

DAMN, this is frustrating. Just got a nice car (I drove a caravan for a year b4 this..lol) and then it breaks on me! Anyways I called the closest Audi which is like maybe 20 to 30 miles from me, not too far. They quoted me 1,500 dollars to fix. However, they said if I have ALL my service records they can help me out. I have the service records but the owner b4 me showed up to the dealership late. (i.e. showed up at 36,407 for the 35k service) I don't know if they will help me out since the services were late. Should I get a flush? There is an automobile shop not more than 3 blocks from my house that recommended a flush for $170. So do you guys think its the pump itself or just a clog in the screen? Can I DIY? The oil light thing won't come on until my car has warmed up for about 15 minutes.

Old 09-19-2006, 06:32 PM

hmmm a flush might work but might not as well and could be a waste of money problem is the screen it would need flushing each way which basically cant be done, you can buy an agent for dissolving sludge related problems STP is a good make and a hell of a lot cheaper the $170 and it does a better job ( I used paraffin to clean out the internals my self just add 1/2 a pint into the oil and run the engine ) keeping an eye and your ears open for loud ticking then shut it off and wait for a while then start again.

at the end of the job you will need to change the oil and filter I wish you good luck

Quick Reply: HELP Audi A4 Engine/Oil Problems