Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Temperature Gauge Drops when Driving.

Old 02-08-2005, 12:01 AM
1st Gear
Default Temperature Gauge Drops when Driving.

Hey guys. I had posted this question earlier but in a different state. About a couple of weeks ago when it was really cold, the temperature gauge dropped from its normal 90 postion back down to 60. After that it never happend again, at least I didnt notice it happening. Today when the temperature was nice, again the same thing happend, I was in a basement parking lot, started the car and drove ( usually I give it a couple of seconds to heat up, but today I didnt) once I started to drive, I noticed that the temperature gauge was still at 60 and not moving.
After a while of driving, I stopped the car and opened the hood, didnt smell anything funny and didnt notice anything either, all fluid levels were fine. I started the car and again and drove it for a while and the gauge was still at 60. However, I made a stop and the car was off for like 10 mins. Started the car up and then the car went back to its normal 90 ( not on startup, but after like 45 seconds, usually when the car is warm it goes to 90 right away on startup). My question is...is that is this something I should worry about? Could it be the thermostate? and is it ok for the gauge to be at 60?

My car is a 99 2.8 Quattro

Also if anyone living in toronto area can Vag my car...I would really appreciate it...A TIM'S coffee would be the reward ...and some talk about AUDI's...

Thanks Guys

David, Jets and Brrr...i look forward to your answers

Old 02-08-2005, 12:19 AM
6th Gear
Default RE: Temperature Gauge Drops when Driving.

First I would replace the coolant temp sensor. It's cheap, so if it doesn't fix it, you are not out much money. I would then secondly check out the thermostat (not a cheap endeavor).

If you see the temp go crazy again, access the temperature from the climate control and record it. Make a note of what a normal temperature is and compare them.

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/int6.shtml

Old 02-08-2005, 11:32 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: OWDI

Hey guys. I had posted this question earlier but in a different state. About a couple of weeks ago when it was really cold, the temperature gauge dropped from its normal 90 postion back down to 60. After that it never happend again, at least I didnt notice it happening. Today when the temperature was nice, again the same thing happend, I was in a basement parking lot, started the car and drove ( usually I give it a couple of seconds to heat up, but today I didnt) once I started to drive, I noticed that the temperature gauge was still at 60 and not moving.
After a while of driving, I stopped the car and opened the hood, didnt smell anything funny and didnt notice anything either, all fluid levels were fine. I started the car and again and drove it for a while and the gauge was still at 60. However, I made a stop and the car was off for like 10 mins. Started the car up and then the car went back to its normal 90 ( not on startup, but after like 45 seconds, usually when the car is warm it goes to 90 right away on startup). My question is...is that is this something I should worry about? Could it be the thermostate? and is it ok for the gauge to be at 60?

My car is a 99 2.8 Quattro

Also if anyone living in toronto area can Vag my car...I would really appreciate it...A TIM'S coffee would be the reward ...and some talk about AUDI's...

Thanks Guys

David, Jets and Brrr...i look forward to your answers
OWDI,
I live in Oakville and I have a VAG-COM and a service manual for your car. I also have this same problem with my car right now. I bought a sensor for under $10 but just couldn't get around in installing it. My car is 1.8TQ AWM and the sensor is on the back of the manifold which is harder to get at. Some Audi has theirs at an easier access. I may be able to help you VAG and install the sensor if you call me at work 905-467-7917 and leave me a message, a Tim coffee will do.
To Jestonemm - I VAG the car and monitored the temperature. The computer indicates a 90 degree+ temperature but the needle is buried on the 60 degrees. Could this be a sensor or display problem?

Old 02-09-2005, 10:25 PM
1st Gear

Wow...that would be a great great Dudley, I would really appreciate that. I will call you at work, around what time would be good for you? Just a quick question Dudley, where should I get the Sensor from? and do you know the part number or specific place I should get it from?

Jestnomen - The link that you provided below. Is that to test to see if it is the sensor? I appreciate the link, but I dont know what to use it for and what to look for once I have found the codes.

Thanks again guys, I really appreciate the help.

Old 02-09-2005, 10:29 PM
6th Gear

The link I provided helps you find out the actual temperature reading of the coolant sensor. This can be used to diagnose the problem. First you take a baseline reading of when the engine is warm and the temp guage is working properly. Take several to get a good sense of where the temp should be. Then when you see the temp guage going crazy take another reading off the climate control and see what is going on. If it is acting crazy too then it is probably the coolant sensor. If not, then its probably the instrument cluster.

Old 02-09-2005, 11:11 PM
1st Gear

Hey Jest..So far these past couple of days the car temp gauge doesnt drop. Once the car is on, it warms up to its regular position of 90 and stays there. I will however contact Dudley, so that I can get my car vagged. I owe him big time.. Just a quick Q, Jestnomen, how do i know if my 99 2.8 Quattro (tiptronic) is a 12V or 30V.

Old 02-09-2005, 11:14 PM
6th Gear

99's are always 30V's. only the 95-97's were 12Vs.

Old 02-09-2005, 11:17 PM
1st Gear

thanks

Old 02-10-2005, 11:56 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Jestnomen

The link I provided helps you find out the actual temperature reading of the coolant sensor. This can be used to diagnose the problem. First you take a baseline reading of when the engine is warm and the temp guage is working properly. Take several to get a good sense of where the temp should be. Then when you see the temp guage going crazy take another reading off the climate control and see what is going on. If it is acting crazy too then it is probably the coolant sensor. If not, then its probably the instrument cluster.
Jest,
I tried this procedure yesterday and it didn't work. Maybe my car does not have this feature anymore.
OWDI - You can call me at work directly 1-800-268-3578 ext. 4181 and you can contact CLConversion at Owasco in Whitby to get the part. It is less than $10 in any of the Audi dealer. When will you be dropping by?

Old 02-10-2005, 11:40 PM
1st Gear

dudley...whenever man...I just have to work on friday, you know the 9 - 5 thing. I live in Toronto, I guess I will just got to QUEENSWAY AUDI to get the part. I will definetly call you tomorrow ( friday Feb 11th) so we can arrange a date. I prefer the weekends since I am not working, is that O.K. with you? I am free on weekends...let me know, but I will call you for sure tomorrow...Thanks again Bud...I owe you big time

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Temperature Gauge Drops when Driving.