Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of replacing stock audi speakers with Bose, is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 12:23 PM
Default Thinking of replacing stock audi speakers with Bose, is it worth it?

I just got myself a '04 A4. The stock audi system leaves much to be desired and I want to upgrade. So Iam consdering getting the oem Bose setup. Is it even possible to just replace the speakers since they each have their own amps without replacing the head unit? I will want to eventually replace the head unit with the OEM navi. Is it even worth replacing it with Bose or should I just go aftermarket?

Old 11-09-2007, 12:30 PM
Administrator
Default RE: Thinking of replacing stock audi speakers with Bose, is it worth it?

IMO with the effort you're gonna put out, you should just go for aftermarket.

That's why people with Bose still upgrade to aftermarket.

Old 11-09-2007, 12:45 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Thinking of replacing stock audi speakers with Bose, is it worth it?

Go aftermarket. The bose is good...but not that good.

Old 11-09-2007, 01:07 PM

I've had experience rewiring an entire car including replacing the deck,butI'm very hesitant to do it with this much newer car. Can I replace the stock speakers, get an amp and use the stock wiring and deck? Could I even forego the amp and just get speakers?

Old 11-09-2007, 01:42 PM
tml
1st Gear

question..I have the stock 10 speaker system...why TF would audi put a small sub in the back...& only speakers & tweets in the doors...the factory sound system would sound a bit better with a pair of speakers behind the rear passengers

Old 11-09-2007, 01:47 PM
Site Moderator

Throwing on Bose speakers on the stock headunit would sound 10X worse then it did before. The bose speakers require a lot more power to push, if anything it would sound like a giant tweeter with no real volumn to it. The Bose amp is external from the speakers, older model bose systems have the amp attached to the speaker.
The best would be is shop for some speakers that can handle around 100 watts per speaker then find a good 4 channel amp to push the 4-6 speakers and still use the stock tweeters. If that isn't enough you can always add a sub instead of replacing all the speakers which sounds really good as well.
I did that on my old chevy S-10, turned down the bass on the stock speakers and added a 10 sub to cover the lows at a 50 hrz frequency which sounded great.

Old 11-09-2007, 01:58 PM

Ok, that's what I wanted to know, if the stock HU would be able to handle bose speakers. So really, the only real choice is to go aftermarket. Now I have to research what fits in my car, unless someone knows off hand?

Old 11-09-2007, 02:02 PM
Site Moderator

Go to www.crutchfield.com they can tell you the dimensions of all the speakers in the car.

Old 11-09-2007, 06:38 PM

U should get an Alpine CDA9885 or 9887 and some Focal Speakers,depending on what year ur car is,mine is 98 and has 4 inch components in the front and 6.5 in the back-do not buy bose tho,its a waste of money and sometimes requires all the weak **** "Bose" amplifiers to make the crap work.My advice is,if ur gonna go thru all that,just buy a JL Audio 300X4 and get the Focal speakers-Your ride will be "Talkin To You" as they say down here....((thro a couple 12w3v3d4 subs in while your at it with a JL Audio 500/1 amplifier for some good low end....))

yea im a stereo salesman....10%off and free shipment LOL.....

Old 11-09-2007, 07:30 PM
Administrator

Most of us who had the OEM Bose systems have ditched them for a reason - even though they're Bose and supposedly high-end, they still don't compare to aftermarket. Go aftermarket and don't look back.

Quick Reply: Thinking of replacing stock audi speakers with Bose, is it worth it?