Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing Belt Replacement Kit

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 03:04 PM
Default Timing Belt Replacement Kit

I just had a Timing Belt Replacement Kit installed into my 2002 Audi A4 3.0. After checking things out, i noticed that the valve cover gasket appears not to have been replaced. I know where this is and can spot the gasket with no problem. If it had been replaced, I would imagine that the edges of the gasket poking out would not be soiled by hardened road grit... I'd imagine they would be clean.

I'm about to ask the mechanic what the deal is, however, was interested in hearing if anyone has had this same problem. Are there are reasons at all whatsoever that the gasket would not need to be replaced on this job? The gasket is included in the Timing Belt Replacement Kit... at the very least, they owe me 2 new gaskets as I paid for them.

thanks for any input you might have...

Old 10-06-2007, 03:23 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: Timing Belt Replacement Kit

What kit did you get and where from? I have never seen a kit w/the valve cover gaskets. I know mine didn't come with it.

Josh

P.S. WELCOME TO AF!

Old 10-06-2007, 03:30 PM
1st Gear

I've never heard of valve cover gaskets included in a timing belt replacement. If it was listed as something they should have done, and you paid for it, I would make them do it.

Old 10-09-2007, 11:26 PM

I called them and discussed it. apparently the kit does come with valve cover gaskets, this is because when they replace the belts, they typically need to open the valve coverto lock the cams. this shop apparently has a tool that can lock the cams without removing the cover... hence no need to replace the gaskets. they just "forgot" to remove that line item on the invoice... how convenient! they did refund them though.

thanks for the input!