Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission fluid

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2004, 11:04 AM
1st Gear
Default Transmission fluid

Can someone advise me of what should I use for a tranny fluid. I have a 2001 A4 1.8T with tiptronic. I am thinking of using synthetic. Any thoughts and ideas? Please give me the pros and cons before I make the switch. Can also advise me on the difficulty of changing it? I can't seem to find the dipstick for the tranny, does anyone know where it is?

Old 07-08-2004, 12:26 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Transmission fluid

Royal Purple seems to be the popular choice.
tech article

Old 07-08-2004, 12:54 PM
1st Gear

Does the tech article also applies to automatic tiptronic version of transmission?
BTW - Thanks for the information.

Old 07-08-2004, 03:50 PM
4th Gear

Use VW automatic transmission fluid or ESSO EGL 71141 .

Old 07-08-2004, 03:56 PM
1st Gear

I was told that the fluid in my tranny is synthetic and has a lifetime. Is the ESSO EGL71141 synthetic?

Old 07-08-2004, 06:11 PM
3rd Gear

[sm=smiley9.gif]Sorry about the link... I was mistaken re: which fluid you were replacing, so... I searched around for you and here's what I found out.

There is no way to do this yourself from what I learned. The fluid has to be at a specific temp and the vehicle needs to be VAGed during the process. Some of the info was confusing, but i got the impression that it isn't easy.

It was clear that it is expensive to have it done, but the 40K interval helps spread the cost out over time. [sm=smiley20.gif]

There was a consensus that Redline and Royal Purple are the fluids of choice, though.

Sorry I couldn't help anymore.

Old 07-09-2004, 07:40 PM
3rd Gear

no it isnt easy you have to get the tranny up to a certain temp thats why tyou need the vag to check the temp then you have to get under the car which requiers lifting it but not with a jack it has to be level then you can drain the fluid using the drain plug bug nthe only way to fill it is through another hole that you take a plug out of which is kind of a tube that opens at the height wich the fluid should be at said temp ....now to get the right amout you have to get a hose and pump it in that tube at first just eyeball it and make sure you get enough fluid for the tranny to opperate then when the vag reads the correct temp you keep pumping fluid in untill it starts to drible out of the hole you pumping it in...easy huh? goto the dealler for this

Old 07-10-2004, 06:36 AM
Site Moderator

OK - just take it to a dealer - it will cost you anywhere from 125 - 200 dollars to have new fluid put in. Its too much if a PITA to do it yourself. And ATF for tiptronic is not normal fluid - Royal Purple does not make anything that is recommended, nor does Redline. Use Pentosin brand, or OEM.

If you don't have a VAG - don't even bother attempting it yourself. Getting the car to accurate temp is actually very important. other than the temp deal, its easy to do it yourself with a fluid pump. Just pump it until you feel fluid about 1cm below the top level of the inner fill plug lip. But the car needs to be at temp before you do this. Otherwise you will an inaccurate amount of fluid in there.

And for the americans - ESSO = Exxon... heh heh

Old 07-10-2004, 06:46 AM
3rd Gear

yeah seeing as the price of the fluid is pretty high and shipping and the PITA value its just cheaper to goto an audi or VW dealler who will do it.....

Old 07-12-2004, 01:28 PM
1st Gear

here is what I was told because I am trying to take the radiator out and the atf cooler lines are connected to it...link

Quick Reply: Transmission fluid