Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 03:25 PM
1st Gear
Default Transmission Issue

Hello there. My wife is having troubles with her A4 and I was wondering if anyone has experienced anything similar. She has a 2005 3 liter 6 cylinder cabriolet and the problem started several months ago. When she would accelerate after being at a stop, the car would stutter or hesitate a bit. When she took it in to the dealer, they first told her that something in the fuel injector was gummed up, probably because of a bad tank of gas or something. After further investigation, she was told that they would need to replace the entire transmission. Currently, her car is in the shop having this done.

What really concerns us is that the car is only two and a half years old. She had her last two cars (both Mazda's) for over 10 years each and was planning to do the same with the A4. Needless to say, we are worried that there may be future transmission troubles, probably after the warranty has expired. (Stupid Murphy and his dang laws) If this is something that can possibly creep up again, it might be better to just sell the car as soon as she gets it back and look elsewhere for something more reliable. One of the reasons we went with the Audi in the first place is because we always thought it was an extremely reliable brand.

Do you think this is just a fluke or has anyone else heard of/seen similar problems?

Thanks in advance for the input.
-Chris

Old 06-11-2007, 03:35 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: Transmission Issue

Well, for one, its under warranty, so thats a big plus, albeit an inconvenience.
I am assuming its an auto, you didn't say, but sounds like it.
Its not real common to have the tranny go bad, usually the audi tranny is pretty solid, especially with the quattro.
I am not as familiar with the auto's but drive it a few months after they fix it, you should be OK, as long as everything feels normal.
Normally they last a long time.

Old 06-11-2007, 03:40 PM
2nd Gear

LOL, that guy just said Audi was a reliable brand with a straight face, LOL. Awwww man, these new guys kill me!

The tranny going out after so few miles isn't right. I wouldn't say you are the first guy that it has happened to, but it isn't something that happens to most new Audis. Your warranty will cover the car pretty well so you are ok when something like this happens. Probably wasn't anything you did / need to do different. Just a manufacturing issue.

As for long term reliability, those Mazdas may be a little better. Audis like to be well maintained, but as long as you do that, they will last you a long time. IMO, they do start to become more finicky once you get above 100k miles though.

Old 06-12-2007, 03:08 AM
4th Gear

Which transmission do you have? Is it the tiptronic of the CVT (continuously variable transmission). There have been some problems with the CVT.

Old 06-12-2007, 11:53 AM
1st Gear

Yeah, it is an automatic and it's a very good thing that it's covered by the warranty. The dealer is even supplying my wife with an ultra high powered Chevy Cobalt. It's taken her a while to get used to such a luxurious car but she is managing. She's going to inquire about getting the warranty extended on the new transmission, just in case there are future issues.

TDRILL, I may be just an ignorant noob but I really thought Audi was one of the more reliable brands. Is this not true? Perhaps we should stay with the Cobalt? Hmm.

david9999, the car does have the CVT. I guess this isn't good news.

Thanks for the input everyone.
-Chris